none
Reference source for Visual Studio 2010 SP1

Question

• Hi

Since I've installed Visual Studio 2010 SP1, some of the .NET Framework 4.0 reference source symbols are not being picked up anymore (e.g. mscorlib.dll, PresentationFramework.dll).

If I look at the versions of the Dlls loaded in the Modules window in Visual Studio, there is a difference in the assembly version numbers between the files that it could find symbols for and those that it couldn't.

E.g. PresentationFramework.dll has Version "4.0.30319.413 built by: RTMDLR" while PresentationFramework.Aero.dll has "4.0.30319.1 built by RTMRel".

For the former it couldn't load my download reference source symbol file correctly, but for the latter it could. I also picked up that the reference source I downloaded has a subfolder called "RTMRel", so I assume there's a correspondence there.

Am I correct that the Visual Studio 2010 SP1 release invalidated my stepping into .NET framework source code? If so, when will you be providing a new source code package that will work correctly for stepping into code? (Or is there perhaps a work-around?)

Thanks

Riko

• Edited by riko.eksteen Friday, April 1, 2011 4:37 PM Changed title
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 4:13 PM

Answers

• You are correct. Many of the binaries have been invalidated with the release of the .NET 4 portion of the update. We do have good news though. The work to extract and publish the final sources for that is in progress. The current ETA is a few weeks out at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Friday, April 8, 2011 9:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by riko.eksteen Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:55 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:32 PM

All replies

• You are correct. Many of the binaries have been invalidated with the release of the .NET 4 portion of the update. We do have good news though. The work to extract and publish the final sources for that is in progress. The current ETA is a few weeks out at the moment.

Thanks,

Chris

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Friday, April 8, 2011 9:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by riko.eksteen Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:55 AM
    Friday, April 8, 2011 7:32 PM
  • I needed my "Reference Source" way bad the very night I installed SP1 and I didn't even realize that my framework had been updated until my symbols/source didn't work anymore.  My needs were such that I'd rather not have SP1 if that's what the consequences were but it was too late.  I uninstalled SP1 but the new framework remained.  I reinstalled the original .NET4 but the new framework remained.  It seems that once installed it cannot be uninstalled, at least I couldn't figure it out and I tried, I really tried.  But I am glad to hear that in "a few weeks" I will be happy again!

Rick Sladkey
    Saturday, April 9, 2011 6:23 AM
  • Thanks for your answer, Chris. I'll await the updated sources eagerly!

Riko

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 9:57 AM
  • Have the updated symbols been released yet? Because I still cant find them. And if not does someone know when it will be released?

Thanks

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:31 PM
  • Same problem here, any update as to when the reference source will be available?
    Thursday, May 5, 2011 12:31 AM
  • Me Too..

Please update when the few weeks are up and the sources are up again.

I have just spent a couple of hours trying to figure out where the sources went, till I saw this post. I can imagine the level of frustration someone that had to fiddle with reinstalling compilers and .net framework.

Thanks

Baruch

Saturday, May 7, 2011 6:36 PM
  • Best answer right now is any day now. We're working through a few bugs in the publication process after a migration of the infrastructure to a new environment.

Thanks,

Chris

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Monday, May 9, 2011 8:29 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 8:29 PM
  • Chris,

A complicating factor is the mystery surrounding the release.  No one seems to call it 4.0SP1 and I cannot seem to download it independently of VS2010 SP1 and yet VS2010 Help -> About says "Framework 4.0.30319 SP1Rel".  It doesn't show up in Add/Remove programs and once installed it cannot be removed.  A related problem is that we need development machines and deployment machines to be able to use the same framework version.

What will it be called on the http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx home page?  Should we just keep checking for a new row added to the main table?

Rick

Rick Sladkey
    Monday, May 9, 2011 8:48 PM
  • The context of my answer above was specifically about Windows 7 SP1 .NET 3.5.1.

However, the "Framework 4.0.30319 SP1Rel" reference source release should be on the heels of the Win7 SP1 .NET 3.5.1 release. That release will likely have the Version listed with the revision number associated with it.

I'd look for something similar to 30319.225 for the version and a Product Name similar to "Dotnetfx_4_Dev10SP1". When the entry appears, the sources will be available online. The actual downloadable package takes a bit longer since there are other signing/packaging processes which are done after the initial online publication push.

~Chris

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Monday, May 9, 2011 11:56 PM
    Monday, May 9, 2011 11:56 PM
  • The context of my answer above was specifically about Windows 7 SP1 .NET 3.5.1.

~Chris

And when you are going to publish  reference sources for Win7SP1.
    It's not a pleasant moment that we use Framework Libraries, which we couldn't debug...

Regards,
    Konstantin.

Thursday, May 19, 2011 4:22 AM
  • It is already 6 June. Any news update on when the source code will be available? I have a bug with WPF MenuItems and having the source code would help me alot to find it.
    Monday, June 6, 2011 2:35 PM
  • It is already 6 June. Any news update on when the source code will be available? I have a bug with WPF MenuItems and having the source code would help me alot to find it.

As for now there is information about Netfx_3.5.1_Win7SP1 on http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx

I have tried it by myself - debugging assemblies are successfully downloaded in Visual Studio.

Tuesday, June 7, 2011 3:53 AM
  • This thread is about version that comes with Visual Studio 2010 SP1 on Windows 7 SP1!
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 1:49 PM

As for now there is information about Netfx_3.5.1_Win7SP1 on http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx

I have tried it by myself - debugging assemblies are successfully downloaded in Visual Studio.

I'm running Windows 7 SP1 x64.  I'd love to know what version of Windows, Visual Studio, and frameworks you are targeting.

I've run in to the following issues (forum related and debug related):

1. I could not download the Net4.msi package until the start of June (I tried to download the symbol/source code archive on three different machines, and the download would fail each time until June 1st.  I can download the pre SP1 NET 4 for browsing, but not debugging (look, but don't run...).

2. When I build a 3.5 WPF or Win Forms project (small test apps), that uses NET 3.5.x, I get the following dialog boxes:

a. Dialog with following text:  sd.exe -p DDRTSD:4000 print -o "C:\Users\EL\AppData\Local\SOURCE~1\DEVDIV\depot\DevDiv\releases\whidbey\Win7SP1\ndp\fx\src\Net\System\URI.cs\1\URI.cs" -q //depot/DevDiv/releases/whidbey/Win7SP1/ndp/fx/src/Net/System/URI.cs#1

At bottom of dialog it says, "Do you want to run this command?"

(NOTE: I’ve received this dialog for every MSoft object/class  tried.)

b. Source D Dialog box points @ f:\dd\ndp\fx\src\Net\System\URI.cs (in upper text box) *and* the path pointed to on my local machine doesn't contain a source file.

(Note: before June 1, I was getting NOTHING!!!)

So, are you telling me that you have source debugging into Microsoft's code working with a machine that is running Windows 7 SP1 (x64? x86?)

Are there other folks running Windows 7 SP1 that are now debugging NET 3.5x under VS2008 and/or VS2010 without problems???

--Finally, forgive me for polluting the Visual Studio SP1 thread with Windows 7 SP1 issues--

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:01 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by ChrisDnet Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:01 AM
    • Edited by EricL1 Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:17 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 1:51 AM
  • You may want to verify that you have VS setup correctly for source stepping.

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/serversetup.aspx

Offline debugging setup available here:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/downloadsetup.aspx

Not sure what your issue was for getting thet .NET 4 RTM msi downloaded since that has been posted for well over a year without change. Anyway, since you downloaded that, I expect you'll want to use the offline setup and point your symbol reference point locally.

• Proposed as answer by ChrisDnet Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:01 AM
    Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:01 AM
  • You may want to verify that you have VS setup correctly for source stepping.

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/serversetup.aspx

Offline debugging setup available here:

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/downloadsetup.aspx

Not sure what your issue was for getting thet .NET 4 RTM msi downloaded since that has been posted for well over a year without change. Anyway, since you downloaded that, I expect you'll want to use the offline setup and point your symbol reference point locally.

Yes, I've checked and re-checked my VS2008 and VS2010 setups on two different machines running Windows 7 x64.

One machine is a laptop, other is a I7 Desktop.

Both machines would happily run with the source server.  I had been using source debugging for 3+ years...

So, to be very clear, you are saying that Netfx_3.5.1_Win7SP1 source is up and running?

Could the following update be the problem:

"Security Update for .NET Framework 3.5.1 on Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 for x64-based Systems (KB2446710)

Installation date: ‎5/‎26/‎2011 9:47 PM

Installation status: Successful

Update type: Important

A security issue has been identified that could allow an attacker to compromise your Windows-based system that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework and gain complete control over it. You can help protect your computer by installing this update from Microsoft. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=204897

Help and Support:
    http://support.microsoft.com"

??????

BTW, I tried downloading the NET4.msi package (Just so I could LOOK over some sections of code). I tried downloading the file on three different machines at my place and on another two machines. In every case, the file download completed without a timeout or error message.  I had file downloads ranging from 300KB to 5MB in size (when trying to run the packages, I received a dialog box indicating that the file could not be installed on my system).  This behavior stopped when the new items showed up on the reference server.

Wednesday, June 8, 2011 2:40 AM
  • I can confirm that 4.0 since VS2010 sp1 source stepping is still not working.
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Yes, I can confirm too...

And the site (http://referencesource.microsoft.com/downloadsetup.aspx) needs some update, because all of the information are about VS2008, and the product names could be a bit more meaningful (and it would be good too if you could publish the Content-Length header with the file downloads, because the browser has no information about the file size while downloading it).

Monday, July 18, 2011 12:50 AM
  • Any updates on when we can expect source stepping to work again ?  It's been a long time and this still seems to be broken.
    Sunday, September 11, 2011 3:23 AM
  • Keenly awaiting updates for this too!
    Friday, November 18, 2011 1:54 AM
  • Still not working!

Any updates on this issue?
    This is a very important feature which is missing for a while right now.

Thursday, March 1, 2012 10:58 AM
  • 10.03.2012 today, and the "in a few days", became something more than a year. What does in a few days mean? Is that something that's bigger than 365 ?? I thought it was in a range from 1-10 days maybe.

When are we going to be able to source step into .NET 4 with VS2010 SP1  ??

Robert Mileski

Saturday, March 10, 2012 6:29 AM
  • @ChrisDNet,

please update the sources so that the developers around the world are able to step into .NET 4 / WPF 4 with VS2010 SP1 !

Thanks in advance...

step-et

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 2:40 PM
  • This is beyond ridiculous!  How can this not be updated after more than a year?
    Friday, April 27, 2012 8:24 PM
  • I can't get it to work either.

(And no, I don't work with or even know DavidCowan.  It's just a coincidence that even after a year, we are apparently having the same problem and came across the same post at almost the same time.)

Friday, April 27, 2012 10:47 PM
  • I have tried rolling back my updates to the .NET framework in an attempt to get back in sync with the RTM versions of the PDBs currently published on Microsoft's source servers. This suggestion was posted in the follwing articles:-

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc667410.aspx

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6084095/net-framework-source-stepping-not-working-despite-options-set.  

However, I doesn't seem to matter what I try I cannot get .NET Framework Source Stepping feature to work with VS2010 SP1 (10.0.40219.1 SP1 Rel)  and .NET 4.0 (4.0.30319 SP1 Rel)!

Can *somebody* at Microsoft please sort this out? Surely, it wouldn't take much effort to publish the latest source symbols everytime there is an update to the .NET Framework?

Thursday, May 17, 2012 2:30 PM
  • June 25 and it appears we are still waiting. In the list of reference source is there a reliable way of relating all the differently formatted version numbers?
    Monday, June 25, 2012 2:45 PM
  • Can anyone managed to step into mscorlib send me a copy of the source for System.IO.Path.Combine() and System.IO.Path.GetExtension()?

Thank you very much.

!雪花鲜啤

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 2:18 AM
  • Zero WangXin,

If you simply wish to view the source code for System.IO.Path.Combine() and System.IO.Path.GetExtension() then you could use a .NET decompiler and assembly browser tool such as Redgate's .NET Reflector or JetBrains dotPeek. Both have free editions.

http://www.reflector.net/

http://www.jetbrains.com/decompiler/

The VSPro (cost version) of .NET Reflector integrates with Visual Studio and uses dynamic decompilation. It will allow you to set breakpoints in 3rd-party code and step into it using the VS debugger, even if you do not have the original source code symbols.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 8:45 AM
  • I too need the ability to debug .NET 4.0 for an ASP.NET app. I can not either.

If nothing else, can anyone provide a link to the source code for "System.Web.UI.Page".

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • For kicks and giggles, I tried to debug .NET 4.0 on a VS2010 that does not have SP1. It still does nto work.

I also downloaed the .NET 4.0 source from the following, and it did not work.

http://referencesource.microsoft.com/netframework.aspx

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 8:32 PM
  • Well, it is almost September, any update?

Why MS is not able to keep up with updates and documentation? Does it mean people working in those areas are incompetent?
    The company is too large and looses a track of what people do?
    Another thought: MS does not employ anybody to work on updates and documentation?

Why all the cries for help in this forum (and others) are ignored by MS stuff?

JohnCz Please consider voting if you find this post helpful.

• Proposed as answer by Dic4000 Wednesday, October 10, 2012 7:33 AM
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 12:23 PM
  • Err ...any updates to this? I desperately need this feature
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 4:24 PM
  • If you are reading this thread for the first time, please help by voting for the fix here:-

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/697947/net-framework-4-reference-sources-fail-since-out-of-date

.... I live in hope that one day Microsoft will stop ignoring the support needs of their developer community and finally get around to sorting this out!

Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:37 AM
  • Microsoft - I need this working too. 
    Thursday, January 31, 2013 9:48 PM
  • I have Windows Vista and C# Visual Studio 2010 Express

Can I just download PresentationFramework.dll ??

Sunday, February 17, 2013 12:32 PM
  • The root cause of nearly every failure described on this thread is out-of-date PDB's.   Even when you download the sources locally, unless the associated PDB matches a GUID inside the assembly, the debugger cannot use it.

Each new release or update of an assembly has a new GUID, effectively making the source server PDB's and sources out of date.  And because the debugger can no longer find a matching PDB based on the new GUID, you see the failures reported on this thread -- failure to step into .Net sources, set breakpoints, etc.  In other words, each update breaks .Net source stepping until a matching PDB is published.

There is a latency between the publication of updates and the publication of the matching PDB's.   Considerable effort is expended to minimize this latency, but the plain fact is it happens, and the unfortunate consequence is broken .Net framework debugging periodically.

But there are alternatives.  Third party tools like Reflector Pro have the ability to decompile .Net framework assemblies and synthesize PDB's, making it possible to single-step and breakpoint .Net framework code.  For obvious reasons, Microsoft cannot recommend or endorse specific third-party products, but as one developer to another, I can say I have used Reflector Pro and found it very useful to debug into .Net framework code.

You need to purchase a licensed copy, and you need the VS extensions to make it work in VS.  Sorry for the extra expense, but my recommendations here are for getting the job done.

To test Reflector Pro, I unchecked "Enable .Net framework source-stepping" and "Enable source server support", cleared my symbol cache, removed all references to the Microsoft Symbol Server or Reference source server, purchased a single-user license for Reflector Pro and experimented with debugging .Net framework code.

I built an ASP.NET app using Microsoft and 3rd party NuGet packages, none of which had public symbols.  In short, I had no PDB's and no sources available to me, and I had code from multiple vendors and multiple products.  Using only Reflector Pro to synthesize PDB's against decompiled C# files, I was able to single-step and breakpoint every piece of managed code in this stack, including ASP.NET itself, WCF, the NuGet packages, my app, and .Net framework code, including mscorlib.  I even decompiled and put breakpoints in VS itself, just because I felt like it.  Though Reflector Pro requires you to build the PDB's in advance (they don't build on the fly), I single-stepped this entire stack in VS and never broke to a Disassembly view.  Reflector's go-to-definition permitted me to jump into decompiled sources to set breakpoints.  The decompiled C# code was good enough to understand, and (after disabling JIT optimization -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/9dd8z24x.aspx) I was able to see local variables while debugging.   I rate the experiment as a success, not just for debugging .Net code but for debugging any code without symbols and sources.

I apologize there is a latency in publishing PDB's after updates that causes this inconvenience periodically, and I'm sorry it may be necessary to spend additional money to work around it.   Microsoft is working to minimize this latency and inconvenience.

But when you simply have to push through and get your work done, third-party products like Reflector Pro let you do that.   And even if the PDB publication latency were zero and you always had current .Net sources, the ability to decompile and debug any managed code from any vendor is pretty compelling.

Ron Cain [MSFT]

• Proposed as answer by chojrak Friday, March 1, 2013 6:46 AM
    Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:54 PM

• Ron Cain [MSFT]

Thank you Ron, this is very informative answer which explains the whole matter in enough detail to me. If the publication latency is unevitable, uninstalling security updates is not an option, and there are other pluses you mentioned, I'll implement your recommended solution.

Friday, March 1, 2013 6:46 AM
  • So does this mean that reference sources are yet another "supported" feature from Microsoft that will never see any meaningful level of contribution ever again?  It sure seems to be the way things go over there more often than not these days.  Might as well just shutter this site and redirect to RedGate at this point.

I used to tell people I loved working in a Microsoft shop because the support and environment they provide to developers is second to none.  Now that's only barely true if you're working with whatever it is Microsoft is currently marketing the heaviest.  Trying to develop anything that's not Windows 8 and Azure?  You're on your own (and good luck since Microsoft are the only people who can fix any problem you might find and they won't be doing that).  A year from now and something else will be the new darling while the developers who started building on today's flavor of the month will be left high and dry.  This has become way too predictable Microsoft.

Monday, June 24, 2013 3:51 PM