Exception: Failed to fetch the execution state RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I get the following error when a pipeline with MDF is executing: Failed to fetch the execution state

The weird thing is that it is a scheduled pipeline that runs just fine most of the time, but in one month, this error occurred twice. To give more context, the MDF is from one schema of the Azure DB to another of the same DB.

What might be the reason why this is happening and how to solve it? Thanks!

Thursday, April 30, 2020 9:29 AM

All replies

• Hi belss,

Thanks for your query and sorry you are experiencing this.  After verifying internally, this is identified as an intermittent Mapping data flow issue (related to Databricks clusters issue). ADF engineering team is working with Databricks team to have a permanent fix. 

As a mitigation/workaround to overcome this, please add retry to your Mapping Data flow which should resolve the issue. 

Hope this helps. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Thursday, April 30, 2020 8:23 PM
  • Hi belss,

Just checking to see if your issue was resolved with above suggestion. And if you have any further query, do let us know. 

Thank you

If a post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" of that post and/or click Answered "Vote as helpful" button of that post. By marking a post as Answered and/or Helpful, you help others find the answer faster.

Monday, May 4, 2020 9:53 PM
  • Hey KranthiPakala-MSFT,

It certainly is a solution, but it is not applicable to every case, if it fails for different reasons, I do not want it to rerun. Lately it has been happening even more often...

Tuesday, May 26, 2020 8:12 AM
  • Hi belss,

Thanks for your response and sharing your thoughts. If you are experiencing this issue frequently, I highly recommend you to please file a support request, that way a support engineer can take a deep dive in to your issue to figure out the root cause and possible solution. 

Once you filed a support request, please do share SR# here with me, so that I can engage with the support engineer to dig more.

Thank you

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 12:38 AM