none
Visual Studio 2015 installer

Question

• Now this is going to come over as a bit of rant but regardless it needs to be said.

For an product of any description much less one being marketed TO PROGRAMMERS the Visual Studio installer is by far the worst of any product ever released.

Of all the times I have ever use the installer it has never worked flawlessly it always get stuck on something and you end up going round in circles alternatively trying to uninstall which it refuses and installing which it refuses. The forums and searches will show this again and again.

The point is the installation of Visual Studio is not trivial, problem only a complete install of windows takes longer but possibly not even that. I do not have days to waste everytime I need to install the thing which is what happen currently. 

For the love of all things dear, we are PROGRAMMERS can't we just have a big red button that says nuke everything and install this sucker and I don't care what it overwrites.  I really couldn't give a rats if my word processor drops or e-mail client stops working because those things take a few minutes to re-install and I AM A PROGRAMMER and those companies seem to be able to write installers.

At least someone had the good sense to write a total uninstall and nuke the registry of anything that remotely looks like Visual Studio so hopefully that will work because I am over this.

Sunday, October 23, 2016 2:44 PM

All replies

• Hi Leon,

Thank you for posting in MSDN forum.

>>At least someone had the good sense to write a total uninstall and nuke the registry of anything

Would you like to uninstall the VS completely?

If you want do a clear uninstall of VS, you need to use uninstall/force command.

For more details, please refer to:

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/heaths/2015/07/17/removing-visual-studio-components-left-behind-after-an-uninstall/

Best Regards,

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 24, 2016 9:15 AM
  • I used the /force command but that doesn't do a thing the uninstaller still gets stuck like I know has been reported many times. Oh that the force actually did what it says it does.

From what I can see what happens is the installer just launches the individual packages and the pack installer gets stuck. Most of the the ones that got stuck were MSI packages and I found if you look at task manager write there name down and use Microsofts tool (MicrosoftProgram_Install_and_Uninstall.meta.diagcab) to unstick the MSI's you can walk it out.

I had a couple even that tool wouldn't touch and I needed to do a regedit on them. My machine passes sfc and I have no issues with registry the entries just seem to have got all lost because I had 3 versions of Visual Studio on being 2010, 2013 and 2015 and when I took 2013 off all hell broke out.

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 5:52 PM
  • Hi Leon,

While I understand your frustration, note that on the MSDN forums we can post Discussions -or- Questions. Questions will have answers, and are aimed at helping the original poster (OP) and other readers that reach the question via web search mechanisms. Questions have more strict guidelines, and must be clear, concise and to the point.

Ranting is OK, your experience is important and highly valued by Microsoft and by us, the community. These posts should be posted as a Discussion.

All that being said, try to force uninstall, like Lana Xu mentioned. It should work.

Another possibility would be to run the setup from the original ISO package. Run it "as administrator" and try uninstalling that way. I've seen that resolve these issues more than once.

My Technet Articles

If you like this or another reply, vote it up!
    If you think this or another reply answers the original question, mark it or propose it as an answer.

Mauricio Feijo
    www.mauriciofeijo.com

Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:15 PM