How to unload the Desktop code in Windows 8 Developer Preview?

Question

• How to unload the Desktop code in Windows 8 Developer Preview? I'm hoping to increase the battery life of my laptop so I can spend more time in the metro IE (with hardware acceleration so I can still play some HTML5 games).
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 6:33 AM

Answers

• "... And if you want to stay permanently immersed in that Metro world, you will never see the desktop—we won’t even load it (literally the code will not be loaded) unless you explicitly choose to go there!"

When you login you go straight to the start screen. As long as you never switch to the desktop a good chunk of code is never executed. This includes stuff like loading the desktop wallpaper, taskbar icons, desktop icons and a handfull of other things necessary to get the desktop into a working state. They simply aren't needed until it is time to venture into desktop land.

• Marked as answer by michaelcheng50 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:19 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:52 PM
  • The desktop and Metro UI are running as "one" on your system. You can quickly switch between them, but you cannot disable either of them. Tablets only use Metro UI, Pc's and laptops use both. There is no way around this (yet).

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

0x2B |~ 0x2B Blog : www.it-ca.net/blogdylan
    • Marked as answer by michaelcheng50 Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:08 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:49 PM

All replies

• On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 06:33:53 +0000, michaelcheng50 wrote:

How to unload the Desktop code in Windows 8 Developer Preview? I'm hoping to increase the battery life of my laptop so I can spend more time in the metro IE (with hardware acceleration so I can still play some HTML5 games).

If you're asking how you can remove the Desktop stuff from Windows 8, you
    cannot. If that's not what you're trying to do then can clarify your
    question?

Paul Adare
    MVP - Identity Lifecycle Manager
    http://www.identit.ca
    This screen intentionally left blank.

• Marked as answer by michaelcheng50 Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by michaelcheng50 Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:28 PM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:57 AM
  • Hi,

I don't necessarily need to uninstall the "Desktop" in Windows. "... And if you want to stay permanently immersed in that Metro world, you will never see the desktop—we won’t even load it (literally the code will not be loaded) unless you explicitly choose to go there!" (src: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/08/31/designing-for-metro-style-and-the-desktop.aspx) Does that mean that the entire Desktop code is unloaded until I click the Desktop tile? Also, if I intentially or accidentally launched the Desktop app from the Start screen but later I decided to only use the Metro apps, would I be able to unload the Desktop code that was still running on my PC (to gain some battery life, maybe much)? Is it possible in the DP build anyway?

Cheers,

Michael

Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:45 PM
  • The desktop and Metro UI are running as "one" on your system. You can quickly switch between them, but you cannot disable either of them. Tablets only use Metro UI, Pc's and laptops use both. There is no way around this (yet).

Regards,

Dylan Meeus

• Marked as answer by michaelcheng50 Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:08 AM
    Saturday, September 17, 2011 11:49 PM
  • Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your reply. But then can you explain the quote I mentioned above?

Cheers,

Michael

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:01 AM
  • You won't see it but that won't mean it's not there. Am I missing something here? :O

Sunday, September 18, 2011 12:02 AM
  • "... And if you want to stay permanently immersed in that Metro world, you will never see the desktop—we won’t even load it (literally the code will not be loaded) unless you explicitly choose to go there!"

When you login you go straight to the start screen. As long as you never switch to the desktop a good chunk of code is never executed. This includes stuff like loading the desktop wallpaper, taskbar icons, desktop icons and a handfull of other things necessary to get the desktop into a working state. They simply aren't needed until it is time to venture into desktop land.

• Marked as answer by michaelcheng50 Tuesday, September 20, 2011 4:19 AM
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:52 PM