Large Data exposing via OData RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am creating OData Service, and while doing so i have few doubts which are as follows:

1. When OData is being called by the Client, does Application server loads the SQL Data in Memory and then apply filters? ( As my system which is just a month old has more than 10 Lac records and it is growing fast)  - If Yes, can anyone suggest me how to filter the data more efficiently from the client itself.

2. Currently, I am using MVC and Newtonsoft to create my REST API. In which I am filtering the data first from SQL and then Converting the same to JSON Format, Is this the right approach? or should i create the OData with Web API

Thanks, Parth

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 1:31 PM

Answers

1. The query will not be evaluated until the OData filters are applied and they'll be handled at the database level.
    2. This depends on your requirements and is subjective. Implementing an OData service basically exposes your data model. There are certainly cases where this is OK. Specifically, if you are looking to expose a data model (EDM or otherwise) quickly and don’t need a lot of code or business logic.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 3:48 PM