none
Windows device manager "scan for hardware changes" is endless if a SATA device is set a password and connected via a USB-SATA bridge RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SATA SSD contains a User password, so the device abort read/write commands after a power up.

I connect it to a Win7 PC by a USB-SATA bridge, the USB tree(in device manager) instantly list the device, then I click the "Scan for hardware changes" hoping it will be listed in "Disk drives" tree node, but the scan progress window is endless. I use a SATA protocol analyzer to look at the SATA bus, and find "Read Sectors Ext"(0x24) commands are sent to the device repeatedly on the same LBA, and of course all these read commands are aborted. It seems the "scan" button triggured these read commands but it can't get any expected response, thus the scan progress window doesn't disappear.

I'm wonderring whethere there is a way to ask "scan" action not to send the read commands, just add a node under "Disk drives" so that I can create a handle by "CreateFile" then use SCSI_PASS_THROUGH to unlock it by the password.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 3:44 PM

Answers

• The reads are coming from the USB mass storage driver to discover more about the disk. Device manager has no idea about the device details, scan for new hardware genetically asks the driver to look for device in a driver private way.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:59 PM

All replies

• The reads are coming from the USB mass storage driver to discover more about the disk. Device manager has no idea about the device details, scan for new hardware genetically asks the driver to look for device in a driver private way.

d -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Saturday, February 1, 2014 4:59 PM
  • Thanks. Do you think there's any way to config this driver to initializate the device without the read? Or if it's not possible, shall I write a substituted driver?
    Monday, February 3, 2014 2:04 PM
  • you don't want to write a mass storage driver replacement. there are quite a few encrypted drives that work with the in box driver which means they must lock the data in a different way.

Monday, February 3, 2014 6:07 PM