none
Windows 8 IE not opening HTTPS page on a Server2003R2 IIS RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've setup a HTTPS server using a Windows Server 2003R2 machine. The certificate was issued and certified by myself on the same 2003R2 machine, which makes it not an authentic certificate.

I tried it on a IE 6 browser which pops up a warning saying that the cert could not be trusted, on answering yes, I can open the page.

On a Windows 8 IE the red page warning displays, but when I click "still viewing the page", the browser doesn't forward me to the page I request. But another website, which also uses an invalid certificate, (This server might be running Server 2008, or 2008 R2, however), would let IE display the same red warning page, but I can successfully enter the site by click "still viewing the page". Another difference is that this second server requires a username-password authentication, done in a pop-up Windows dialogbox instead of an authorization page.

I wonder if it were possible to force Windows 8 IE display an HTTPS page even if the page is from an older server with an invalid cert.

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, June 28, 2012 9:04 AM

All replies

• The reason is that the default number of bits in the encryption in Server 2003 is too low, 512, while newer operating systems require a bigger number of bits in the certificate. I set it to 4096 when I was creating the certificate in Server 2003 R2, and it works perfectly with Windows 8.

Friday, July 20, 2012 6:13 AM