Phone Number, Email Address, and Web Address Not Showing In Table DropDown List For The Data Type RRS feed

• Question

• Creating an HTML Client LightSwitch application and when viewing a table in the designer, the Type column does not display the option to change a String to another type such as Phone Number, Email Address, Web Address, etc. 

The other data types (Email Address, etc.) do show up when creating a Silverlight LightSwitch application, but not an HTML Client LightSwitch application.  Also I am using IE9 with Windows 7.

What is required to have the option to change the Type of a field that is "String" to another type such as "Email Address" in the table designer?

• Edited by sparr8 Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:41 PM
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:23 PM

Answers

• Figured out the problem. 

In the LightSwitch HTML project's properties, within the Extensions section, I did not have any extensions selected.  Once I checked the Microsoft LightSwitch Extensions, the Email Address, Phone Number, and Web Address were then being displayed in the dropdown list for the table field types that were originally a String type.

• Marked as answer by sparr8 Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:53 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:52 PM

All replies

• Hi,

What I did in my application was to have the phone in the table set as a Phone Number and if I did this then in the HTML Client screen designer I was able to choose the view of the Phone as Phone Number Viewer.

and in the HTML Client I have this:

Hope this helps.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Figured out the problem. 

In the LightSwitch HTML project's properties, within the Extensions section, I did not have any extensions selected.  Once I checked the Microsoft LightSwitch Extensions, the Email Address, Phone Number, and Web Address were then being displayed in the dropdown list for the table field types that were originally a String type.

• Marked as answer by sparr8 Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:53 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 11:52 PM
  • Microsoft LightSwitch Extensions is always ticked by default, unless you untick it, or untick the Use For Future Projects box.

Unless you absolutely know that you won't be using any of the out-of-the-box business types, you should always have it ticked.

Yann Duran
         - Co-Author of Pro Visual Studio LightSwitch 2011
         - Author of the  LightSwitch Central Blog

FREE Download: Luminous Tools for LightSwitch
    (a Visual Studio productivity extension for LightSwitch)

Click Mark as Answer, if someone's reply answers your question
    Click  Vote as Helpful, if someone's reply is helpful

By doing this you'll help everyone find answers faster.

Friday, April 26, 2013 7:19 PM