none
Getting securestring output from linked template

Question

• I have a template that has a linked template resource. The linked template has a securestring output. When I try to access the output from the top-level template using

[reference('Microsoft.Resources/deployments/diagnosticstorage').outputs.storageConnectionString.value]

it fails with this error message:

The language expression property 'value' doesn't exist, available properties are 'type'.'

which makes sense as when I look at the deployment object in the resource explorer it looks like this (it has no property called value):

"outputs": {
          "storageConnectionString": {
            "type": "SecureString"
          }
    }

My question is, how do I get a securestring output from a linked template?

Thanks.

• Edited by Alex19121 Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:27 PM
    Thursday, March 8, 2018 2:21 PM

All replies

• Which Azure Service you are using? Also,Elaborate bit more on your scenario.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do click on "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, this can be beneficial to other community members.

Friday, March 9, 2018 2:47 AM
  • I'm using the Azure Resource Manager API to deploy resources using a template. The scenario is the one detailed in the post - a resource template with a linked template resource. The linked template resource outputs a securestring that needs to be read by the parent template.
    Friday, March 9, 2018 3:26 PM