none
Outlook Ribbon Tab Not Displaying RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to create an Add-In for outlook 2010, visual studio 2010, Ribbon (Designer).  Very simple to start, just a ribbon with a message box on the click of a button in the ribbon.  My problem is that the tab doesn't display in the ribbon with my group and button.  I am able to do it in an Excel Add-In with no problems so I know I am doing it right, there must be something wrong with my outlook. 
    I have tried to set the tab ControlIdType to Office with an Office Id of TabAddIns expecting the Add-Ins tab to display, as well as a custom ControlTypeID and CustomId of CustomTab expecting a tab labeled CustomTab.    Anybody else ever have this problem?
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:06 PM

Answers

• Normally the AddIns tab is only displayed if you create old-style UI such as CommandBar or CommandBarControl objects. I've never actually tried to display it on purpose.

Does it work any better if you use one of the more standard tabs, or create your own tab and put your group and control on the custom tab?

Where do you want this ribbon to display, in a folder view (Explorer) or in an open item (Inspector)? For what type of item or folder?

For example, for a mail item ribbon for a new item I might set ControlId = TabNewMailMessage, with type being Office. Then I'd add a group and a button in the group. That would place the group in the TabNewMailMessage tab (the home tab)

For a folder view I might add a tab and set ControlId = "WhateverUniqueNameIWanted", with type being Custom. That would add a custom tab for my group and button.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook
    http://www.slovaktech.com
    Author: Professional Programming Outlook 2007

"BCL1900" <=?utf-8?B?QkNMMTkwMA==?=> wrote in message news:40f06c18-4a7d-4148-97ff-181cafe179fe...
    I am trying to create an Add-In for outlook 2010, visual studio 2010, Ribbon (Designer).  Very simple to start, just a ribbon with a message box on the click of a button in the ribbon.  My problem is that the tab doesn't display in the ribbon with my group and button.  I am able to do it in an Excel Add-In with no problems so I know I am doing it right, there must be something wrong with my outlook. 
    I have tried to set the tab ControlIdType to Office with an Office Id of TabAddIns expecting the Add-Ins tab to display, as well as a custom ControlTypeID and CustomId of CustomTab expecting a tab labeled CustomTab.    Anybody else ever have this problem?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:12 PM

All replies

• Normally the AddIns tab is only displayed if you create old-style UI such as CommandBar or CommandBarControl objects. I've never actually tried to display it on purpose.

Does it work any better if you use one of the more standard tabs, or create your own tab and put your group and control on the custom tab?

Where do you want this ribbon to display, in a folder view (Explorer) or in an open item (Inspector)? For what type of item or folder?

For example, for a mail item ribbon for a new item I might set ControlId = TabNewMailMessage, with type being Office. Then I'd add a group and a button in the group. That would place the group in the TabNewMailMessage tab (the home tab)

For a folder view I might add a tab and set ControlId = "WhateverUniqueNameIWanted", with type being Custom. That would add a custom tab for my group and button.

--
    Ken Slovak
    MVP - Outlook

"BCL1900" <=?utf-8?B?QkNMMTkwMA==?=> wrote in message news:40f06c18-4a7d-4148-97ff-181cafe179fe...
    I am trying to create an Add-In for outlook 2010, visual studio 2010, Ribbon (Designer).  Very simple to start, just a ribbon with a message box on the click of a button in the ribbon.  My problem is that the tab doesn't display in the ribbon with my group and button.  I am able to do it in an Excel Add-In with no problems so I know I am doing it right, there must be something wrong with my outlook. 

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Tuesday, July 19, 2011 8:12 PM
  • I'm not sure if this is relevant, because I don't know what most of the above means - but my "add-ins" tab won't display at all, either.  I have gone to the Options place to look at all of the add-ins that are supposed to display in the "add-ins tab," but I have never seen any add-ins tab, and I can't find it anywhere.  Since there are activated (checkmarked) add-ins in the list, one would think that the "add-ins tab" would appear somewhere.  I assume it should be across the top, next to Home, Send/Receive, Folder and View, but there's nothing there that says "add-ins," and I can't find it anywhere.

I'm not trying to make any add-ins, I just want to display the tab.  (Actually, I uploaded an add-in, but since I can't find the tab, I can't tell if it worked or not.

Any thoughts?

Friday, October 19, 2012 4:12 AM
  • That tab will only display if an addin creates obsolete user interface elements instead of ribbon elements. It is not a test of whether or not an addin has loaded and is running.

--
    Ken Slovak
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "WhyIsMyNameAlwaysTaken" <=?utf-8?B?V2h5SXNNeU5hbWVBbHdheXNUYWtlbg==?=> wrote in message news:c587713e-e07c-4d75-997a-5ddd3f01fc2c...

I'm not sure if this is relevant, because I don't know what most of the above means - but my "add-ins" tab won't display at all, either.  I have gone to the Options place to look at all of the add-ins that are supposed to display in the "add-ins tab," but I have never seen any add-ins tab, and I can't find it anywhere.  Since there are activated (checkmarked) add-ins in the list, one would think that the "add-ins tab" would appear somewhere.  I assume it should be across the top, next to Home, Send/Receive, Folder and View, but there's nothing there that says "add-ins," and I can't find it anywhere.

I'm not trying to make any add-ins, I just want to display the tab.  (Actually, I uploaded an add-in, but since I can't find the tab, I can't tell if it worked or not.

Any thoughts?

Ken Slovak MVP - Outlook
    Friday, October 19, 2012 1:27 PM
  • Have you had the had the addin working and then crash. If you then ran the addin and acciendtly clicked the trust window todisable the addin it will not load. Go to Excel-Options-Addins, select addin manage and then select disabled addins and check to see it is in the list and remove the list.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 2:19 AM