How to load SSAS tabular databse tables in to powerpivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to implement some powerview report in excel 2013 itself (not in sharepoint).

I have implemented a SSAS tabular model and deployed to server. Now my aim is to load this tables in the SSAS tabular database into powerpivot so that i can use this data for creating powerview reports. However when i tried to import data from SSAS, it asks database and MDX query. My requirement is to load the dimension and fact tables to power pivot as it is.

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:09 PM

Answers

• you don't need to import your data into power Pivot.

You can create power View reports on the SSAS tabular model.

• Proposed as answer by Michael Amadi Sunday, August 23, 2015 6:34 PM
    • Marked as answer by Michael Amadi Friday, September 4, 2015 7:13 PM
    Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Thanks Pygoc and Steellege4.

when i tried analyse in excel from SSAS tabular model, was not able to get the fields to create power view.

However I found out from excel data tab, we can directly make a connection to SSAS tabular and create poerview.

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:43 PM

when i tried analyse in excel from SSAS tabular model, was not able to get the fields to create power view.

However I found out from excel data tab, we can directly make a connection to SSAS tabular and create poerview.

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Hi Shamsuddeen,

According to your description, you are trying to import SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular model to PowerPivot workbook, and then create a Power View report based on this workbook, right?

In Excel, Power View in sheet on the Data Model in the same workbook or on an external data source – another workbook, or a SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS) tabular model. So you can import Tabular model data to PowerPivot workbook, and then create a Power View report based on this workbook. Or you can create a Power View report connect to SSAS tabular model. Please refer to the links below to see the details.
    Create a Power View Sheet Connected to an SSAS Tabular Model Without SharePoint
    Create a Power View sheet connected to an external data model in Excel

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Idr_p Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:24 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:23 AM

All replies

• you don't need to import your data into power Pivot.

You can create power View reports on the SSAS tabular model.

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Hi,

I dont think you can do this. You have to either work with SSAS Tabular or Power Pivot they are the same thing. Why you dont want to do the work in SSAS?

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:17 PM

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 12:43 PM

Thanks!

Shamsuddeen

Hi Shamsuddeen,

According to your description, you are trying to import SQL Server Analysis Services Tabular model to PowerPivot workbook, and then create a Power View report based on this workbook, right?

In Excel, Power View in sheet on the Data Model in the same workbook or on an external data source – another workbook, or a SQL Server 2012 Analysis Services (SSAS) tabular model. So you can import Tabular model data to PowerPivot workbook, and then create a Power View report based on this workbook. Or you can create a Power View report connect to SSAS tabular model. Please refer to the links below to see the details.
    Create a Power View Sheet Connected to an SSAS Tabular Model Without SharePoint
    Create a Power View sheet connected to an external data model in Excel

Regards,

Charlie Liao
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Idr_p Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:24 AM
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 3:23 AM
  • Open MS ExcelGo to
    Data > From Other sources > From Analysis services and then follow the prompts.
    Thursday, August 20, 2015 4:24 AM