none
VE AJAX Control or the Bing Maps web services? RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to Bing Maps.  I use ASP.Net to build web applications.  I know very little javascript and I'm have a tough time understanding the javascript functions I see on this forum.  99% of my web development has been using server-side code in C# and VB.Net.

So given my background, which environment should I be using to build some web pages using Bing Maps?  It appears to me that using the web services would allow me to use my server-side skills.  Or should I "bite the bullet" and learn more javascript to utilize the Ajax control?  What are the pros and cons of using the web services versus the Ajax Control?  Is one approach more powerfel than another?

I also tried the Simplovation control which is a third-party ASP.Net control that works great.  The problem is, it looks like the guy who built this has abandoned it.  He has a forum and blog and stopped posting over a year ago. 

So I am hoping some of you smart folks can provide some guidance and point me in the right direction.

Thanks

• Moved by Ricky_Brundritt Saturday, March 10, 2012 1:30 PM (From:Bing Maps: Map Control and Web services Development)
    Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:02 PM

Answers

• Don't decide between tools based on your knowledge as a developer. Decide between them based on what functionality you want your map to have.

Do you want your users to be able to scroll/zoom pan around the map (i.e. make a "slippy map" like you see on the www.bing.com/maps site)? If so, you're going to need to use one of the client-side controls - either AJAX or Silverlight. If you know C# then you might prefer Silverlight over AJAX, although obviously bear in mind that means your users will have to have the silverlight plug-in installed.

If you just need to produce a static map, highlighting a single location or a set of directions, say, then perhaps the web services would be preferable. These don't require any kind of client-processing and can be sent to the user's browser as a JPG/PNG image file, say, which can be embedded in a webpage and displayed on almost any platform.

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:24 PM

All replies

• Don't decide between tools based on your knowledge as a developer. Decide between them based on what functionality you want your map to have.

Do you want your users to be able to scroll/zoom pan around the map (i.e. make a "slippy map" like you see on the www.bing.com/maps site)? If so, you're going to need to use one of the client-side controls - either AJAX or Silverlight. If you know C# then you might prefer Silverlight over AJAX, although obviously bear in mind that means your users will have to have the silverlight plug-in installed.

If you just need to produce a static map, highlighting a single location or a set of directions, say, then perhaps the web services would be preferable. These don't require any kind of client-processing and can be sent to the user's browser as a JPG/PNG image file, say, which can be embedded in a webpage and displayed on almost any platform.

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I do want the users to be able to drag and drop, zoom in / zoom out, etc, on the client side.  But I do not know javascript very well.  I have been using this third-party control called Simplovation Map Control and it allows me to do everything in server-side C# or VB.Net.  The problem is this control is based on VE Ajax control 6.3.  And I need some functionality like removing those street line numbers that appear on my routes.  It appears they have been removed on the VE 7.0 control.  So I found some web sites where it shows how to do this using javascript.  Unfortunately I have no idea how to implement these examples with my server-side code.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong with the Ajax control.  I have used several Ajax controls in the past.  I never had to write a single line of javascript.  I simply dropped an Ajax control on to my web page and was then able to change property values or call methods.  But this VE map control seems to require all javascript code to use it.  Am I doing something wrong?

Maybe the Silverlight approach is better.  I played around with Silverlight a year or 2 ago.  Problem with all of this is I have to finish my project now and have little time to learn new technologies.  It's a shame this Simplovation control doesn;t have more support since this is exactly what I need.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012 1:39 PM