IoT Hub Device to Cloud RRS feed

• Question

• How can I test IoT Hub device to cloud messaging? 
    I have a simulator application, have implemented the message recieving logic and now I want to test it. Is there a way of testing it without writing a webapp?
    Tuesday, June 14, 2016 8:05 PM

Answers

• Hi

On a real life project you would implement your application and write the logic for the C2D(cloud to device) messaging. The IoT Hub messaging works by polling, so technically it's not pushing any messages to the device but rather the device "polls" for messages.

For development purposes, I suggest you take a look at the Device Explorer. Its open source in GitHub and has a functions for registering devices, interrupting messages to see the content etc. It also has a "Messages to Device" (ss below) function which can come in handy in your case.

Hope this helps!

Mert

• Marked as answer by umutto Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:33 AM

All replies

• Hi

On a real life project you would implement your application and write the logic for the C2D(cloud to device) messaging. The IoT Hub messaging works by polling, so technically it's not pushing any messages to the device but rather the device "polls" for messages.

For development purposes, I suggest you take a look at the Device Explorer. Its open source in GitHub and has a functions for registering devices, interrupting messages to see the content etc. It also has a "Messages to Device" (ss below) function which can come in handy in your case.

Hope this helps!

Mert

• Marked as answer by umutto Wednesday, June 15, 2016 7:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2016 6:33 AM
  • You could try the cross-platform Azure IoT Toolkit extension for Visual Studio Code. It could simulate as a device to send D2C message. Also monitoring D2C message, sending C2D message, device management and other cool features.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 8:18 AM