none
HKEY_USERS doesn't get merged in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT on server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I run a server with windows server 2008 R2.

I'm using TFS to run a build on the server and in the build it puts something in the registery.

It puts it in the HKEY_USERS. But it isn't in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. So it searches in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT to the registeryentry. (in this case a .dll)

But it can't find and when I checked manually it isn't in there. But it is in the HKEY_USERS. I guess it is a problem with the server running on network credentials. But I don't know how to solve the problem, because the server can't run on an user account, it has to run on network credentials

Hobbel

• Moved by John Qiao Monday, October 22, 2012 7:00 AM (From:Team Foundation Server - General)
    • Edited by Hobbel007 Monday, October 22, 2012 7:21 AM
    Friday, October 19, 2012 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hi Hobbel,

Actually, when you restart one time, the setting is copied. So when you build/run the application again, you don't need to restart it every time.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Hobbel007 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:54 PM

All replies

• Hi Hobbel,

Thanks for your post.

As this issue relate to CLR, so I moved it to CLR forum for the better response.  

John Qiao [MSFT]

Monday, October 22, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Ok thanks
    Monday, October 22, 2012 7:08 AM
  • My first thought is what is the "something" that your TFS puts in the registery? If the server has not placed your build into HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT, you are attempting to build something that has already been submitted; therefore, your build becomes a HKEY_USERS. The server rejects attempts at software piracy.

Christine Sindelar

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 4:24 PM
  • It's not tfs who puts something in the registery.

In the build template from TFS I run a .exe with invokeprocess. So it's not TFS but the executable I run, which is a program to determine code coverage. So the registery store does not have something to do with the tfs data.

But I found out it's because the server runs under network credentials that it gets stored in the HKU. The CLR searches in HKCR, but because the profiler is stored in the HKU it can't be found. Is there a way to solve this problem?

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 6:05 AM
  • Hi Hobbel,

When OS started, OS will copy the current user under HKU into HKCU, so a restart should be helpful.

Best regards,

Mike Feng
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 10:54 AM
  • I can't restart the buildserver everytime I do a build.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:30 PM
  • I can't restart the server everytime I do a build
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Hi Hobbel,

Actually, when you restart one time, the setting is copied. So when you build/run the application again, you don't need to restart it every time.

Best regards,

Mike Feng

• Marked as answer by Hobbel007 Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:54 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 1:54 PM
  • The problem is that every time when I run a build it searches for a specific ID in the registery. This is different every time. But it was a problem with the .exe I run.

Thanks

Tuesday, November 13, 2012 7:53 AM