none
Insert Blob <= 8000 Bytes RRS feed

• Question

• Using ADO.NET 2.0 I’m trying to insert some data into a byte (blob) column in an Informix IDS v10.0 database. The insert fails with the following error:

Illegal attempt to convert Text/Byte blob type.

The code is as follows:

private void InsertBlob()

{

DbProviderFactory provider = DbProviderFactories.GetFactory("System.Data.Odbc");

using (DbConnection connection = provider.CreateConnection())

{

connection.ConnectionString = "DSN=mydb";

connection.Open();

using (DbCommand command = connection.CreateCommand())

{

command.CommandText = "insert into blobtable(blobdata) values(?)";

DbParameter parameter = command.CreateParameter();

parameter.DbType = DbType.Binary;

parameter.Value = new byte[8000];  // ç change to 8001 and the insert succeeds

command.Parameters.Add(parameter);

command.ExecuteNonQuery();

}

}

}

If, however, I change the dimension of the byte array to 8001, the insert succeeds. I’d like to understand why this is the case, and how can I insert blob data of 8000 bytes or less? It is not clear to me whether this is a .NET or Informix issue, but given the discussion over the apparently poorly-worded description for System.Data.DbType.Binary I thought I should try here first.

In case it matters I’m using v2.90.00.12949 of the IBM Informix ODBC driver.

Thank you,

Mike

Saturday, September 22, 2007 6:18 PM

Answers

• For what it's worth, this issue is resolved with at least .NET 3.5 SP1 and Informix CSDK 3.50. I can now successfully insert data of 8000 characters or less using DbType.Binary.

Mike
    Tuesday, September 1, 2009 3:34 PM