none
the file you are trying to open 'XXXX.xls' is in a different format than specified by the file extension RRS feed

• Question

• i tried to open my excel file but it shows this massage" the file you are trying to open 'XXXX.xls' is in a different format than specified by the file extension" with yes/no option. if i press yes the file is opened but with unknown caracters like " ً¶XپPƒP؟?؟ً<MBM:"

so please help to recover my file

Friday, December 23, 2016 2:37 PM

All replies

• Hi abualsaeed,

There is a security feature in Excel, introduced with Office 2007, that matches the content of the file and the file name extension.   

That warning will show up when the security feature is enabled and it detects possible incompatibility between the actual content of the file and the file name extension, which can cause unexpected problems.   

For more details, please review this support KB:https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/948615

Best regards,

Kristin

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, December 26, 2016 2:11 AM