Website takes long time to load on Win2K, .NET 1.0 RRS feed

• Question

• User921007156 posted

Hi All,

I just took over a website that was developed in C#, .NET 1.0, running on Windows 2000 SP4, using IIS 5.0.
    I noticed the website was in debug mode, so I turned that off, but was wondering is there anything else I can do, to get better performance when my users first connect?

IIS 5.0 looks like the following...
    http://tinyurl.com/myqcz7z

My WebConfig File looks like the following...
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <configuration>
    <system.web>
    <compilation defaultLanguage="c#" debug="false"/>
    <customErrors mode="Off"/>
    <!-- AUTHENTICATION
    This section sets the authentication policies of the application. Possible modes are "Windows", "Forms", thr "Passport" and "None" -->
    <authentication mode="Windows"/>
    <identity impersonate="false"/>
    <pages validateRequest="false"/>
    <trace enabled="true" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false" traceMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true"/>
    <sessionState mode="InProc" stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data source=127.0.0.1;user id=sa;password=" fakepassword="false" timeout="45"/>
    <globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>
    <httpRuntime maxRequestLength="131072"/>
    </system.web>
    </configuration>

Thanks

Friday, August 23, 2013 7:11 PM

Answers

• User71929859 posted

Hi,

What happens when you click on the "Add as CDN" button?

You can also include the CDN for famous libraries as shown below

http://www.asp.net/ajaxlibrary/cdn.ashx

There are ways you can create your own CDNs too. But those are not for free, AFAIK.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:52 PM

All replies

• User-821857111 posted

Does every user experience slow performance when they first connect? Does performance improve for all of them afte the first request? Is there some kind of bootstrapping going on where sessions are populated with datasets, connections and other inappropriate miscellany? Have you ruled out any code-releated issues? 

Saturday, August 24, 2013 4:05 AM
  • User921007156 posted

<<Does every user experience slow performance when they first connect?>> YES

<<Does performance improve for all of them after the first request?>> No, It just improved a little when I turned off debug mode. It still takes like 15 seconds to pull up the site, even thou there is nothing else on the server.

<<Is there some kind of bootstrapping going on where sessions are populated with datasets, connections and other inappropriate miscellany?>> Not sure, how can I verify, if this is happening?

<<Have you ruled out any code-releated issues?>>  Not yet, haven't had time to really look at the code. I was thinking about moving it to Windows Server 2008 R2, with IIS 7, to see if that would improve things.

Saturday, August 24, 2013 6:07 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

<<Does performance improve for all of them after the first request?>> No, It just improved a little when I turned off debug mode. It still takes like 15 seconds to pull up the site, even thou there is nothing else on the server.

No - I meant to establish from you once they are in the site, how is perfomance then? Does it improve or are all subsequent pages (requests) just as slow?

<<Is there some kind of bootstrapping going on where sessions are populated with datasets, connections and other inappropriate miscellany?>> Not sure, how can I verify, if this is happening?
    You'd have to check the code to find anything that appears to do this.

<<Have you ruled out any code-releated issues?>>  Not yet, haven't had time to really look at the code. I was thinking about moving it to Windows Server 2008 R2, with IIS 7, to see if that would improve things.

I'd certainly recommend putting it onto a newer server with an OS that is actually still supported...

Saturday, August 24, 2013 1:14 PM
  • User71929859 posted

Hello,

Check this - http://developer.yahoo.com/yslow/

Though it's not focused on increasing the performance of the first request, it will definitely give you tips on how to increase your website performance as a whole.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 10:42 AM
  • User921007156 posted

Thanks for the YSlow pluggin advise. I just tried it, and the overal grade for the site is a "B". The only issues for this site according to YSlow were in the Server category.

I'm not quite sure what these means, but I guess they are server related?

http://tinyurl.com/khsqw49

Sunday, August 25, 2013 11:40 AM
  • User71929859 posted

Hi,

What happens when you click on the "Add as CDN" button?

You can also include the CDN for famous libraries as shown below

http://www.asp.net/ajaxlibrary/cdn.ashx

There are ways you can create your own CDNs too. But those are not for free, AFAIK.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:52 PM
  • User921007156 posted

When I click on Add as CDN, the score goes up from 83 to 88 in YSlow.

I also noticed the load time was much quicker during the firefox session.

Is this permanent with all browsers, or do I have to make a code change?

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:20 PM
  • User71929859 posted

I don't think it will be permanent. Did you check your source files after that? Please check it and see whether there are any changes for the file references. I don't think a browser plugin would be able to do that though.

Monday, August 26, 2013 12:18 AM
  • User921007156 posted

I didn't see any changes to my source files, or any files in my directory.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 7:29 AM
  • User71929859 posted

I didn't see any changes to my source files, or any files in my directory.

Then you need to do it manually. Check the link I've posted in my 2nd reply. You have to replace those CDN links where it's possible.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:06 AM