SQL Server 2008 log file types RRS feed

• Question

• When googling, I can't seem to find anything on this:

When I look at my SQL Server 2008 Log Files, most of them are of the .ldf file type, but some are .220 file type.  I don't know why some are of this type.  It looks like all of my CRM databases have log files of the .220 file type, but I don't know if this is related to when the database was created or some other factor.

The data files of these databases have a file type of .210

I look forward to someone solving this mystery for me.

Fred Zilz
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 6:07 PM

Answers

• If I create a new database it does use the default extensions, so it must be something that happens with Microsoft CRM database creation.  I guess I will go to the MS CRM forum and see if this is done for a reason.

PS, Prior to and during our conversion from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, I created a number of CRM tables to work through the upgrade, so all of my most recent Databases happen to be for MS CRM and also are using the non-standard / default database extensions.

Thank you.

Fred Zilz
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, October 31, 2011 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:15 PM

All replies

• Default file extensions are mdf (data) and ldf (log), though when creating new files you can create them with any file extention you want.  I've seen ndf, ndx, etc.  Your .210 files are probably data files, but they could be log files as well.  Look at the database properties you believe these files belong to under the files page.  It should say Rows Data or Log and that will tell you what the file actually contains.

Hope that helps,

John

John Eisbrener - http://dbaeyes.com/
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:01 PM
  • Thank you.

That makes sense, but what I would like to know is why my databases are not being created with the default .mdf and .ldf extensions anymore.  Is there a setting somewhere for that.  My default file location is set, but I don't see anything in that area that states what filetype or extension to use.  

Fred Zilz
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:27 PM
  • Are you positive these were not explicitly defined with these non-default file extensions?  What are the file extensions you see when you create a new empty database?  Just create it, look at the files (or script it out) then delete it.

John

John Eisbrener - http://dbaeyes.com/
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 7:41 PM
  • USE <dbname>

exec sp_helpfile

Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:34 PM
  • If I create a new database it does use the default extensions, so it must be something that happens with Microsoft CRM database creation.  I guess I will go to the MS CRM forum and see if this is done for a reason.

PS, Prior to and during our conversion from CRM 4.0 to CRM 2011, I created a number of CRM tables to work through the upgrade, so all of my most recent Databases happen to be for MS CRM and also are using the non-standard / default database extensions.

Thank you.

Fred Zilz
    • Marked as answer by Peja Tao Monday, October 31, 2011 1:39 AM
    Tuesday, October 25, 2011 9:15 PM