none
WHK client (win 8 system) hang @ attempting S3 state during the test "Sleep and PNP (disable and enable) with IO Before and After (Certification - Software Device) " RRS feed

• Question

• The WHK-rtm version controller and client are set up properly because all the tests for device/file system category passed except this one. This test failed at the same state on a couple of WHK win 8 certified motherboards.  The system has no problem to go to or wake up from S3 outside WHQL test. Anyone know the solution or had the same issue? Very appreciate comment and suggestions.

• Edited by nvelo Friday, September 7, 2012 1:58 AM
    • Moved by Doron Holan [MSFT] Monday, October 1, 2012 9:55 PM WLK/WHCK related (From:Windows Hardware WDK and Driver Development)
    Friday, September 7, 2012 1:51 AM

Answers

• You should verify you are using build 9200 as there was a known issue affecting this test prior due to a problem in the OS. The test is failing to hibernate the machine, not sleep, a reboot is occurring instead of hibernation and restore.  This appears to be a valid failure.
    Try to manually hibernate the machine under verifier as this is what is failing in the OS. Verifier is part of the built in components in the OS and can be launched by running verifier.exe. If hibernation results in a reboot in the above scenario, this verifies the issue is not a test issue but most likely a machine issue and the system used for test should be changed.

Support beyond this is not something we can offer in the forums, and I also understand this is a time-sensitive issue for you. Given this, I strongly suggest you open a support case with us for more 1:1, directed support if the above does not provide full resolution to the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:26 PM

All replies

• I have encountered a similar problem. My Optiplex 780 didn't resumed from "sleep?" during "Sleep and PNP (disable and enable) with IO Before and After (Certification)."
    After two days, I pushed the mouse and keyboard (any keys) but it didn't resumed. Only the power button was enable.
    But the test is "Machine Rebooted Unexpected" error.

See also Test Known Issues.

• Edited by sekihdn Friday, September 7, 2012 2:52 AM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 2:47 AM
  • Hi seki,

Thank you for your info. I checked the Test Known Issues. My WHCK error does indicate the cause is "Machine rebooted unexpected when task 'Run Test' was running. However, I didn't see the error log "Windows failed to resume from Hibernate with error status <status code>" in my test client's event viewer.  And, there is actually no error log entry recorded right before the hang state.  In the TestTextlog.log file saved on the controller, the last recorded entry is

WDTF_SYSTEM : INFO : Attempt Sleep State: 3, At (hh:mm:ss): <hh:mm:ss>, Wake Time In Seconds: 120

Does the same thing happen to you? Did you solve it?

Also welcome other's opinion.

Thanks,

--Kevin Shen

• Edited by nvelo Friday, September 7, 2012 6:40 PM
    Friday, September 7, 2012 6:34 PM
  • WDTF_SYSTEM : INFO : Attempt Sleep State: 3, At (hh:mm:ss): <hh:mm:ss>, Wake Time In Seconds: 120

Does the same thing happen to you? Did you solve it?

Hello Kevin,

Maybe yes. I haven't solved it, yet.

Another machine (Toshiba Dynabook) didn't resume, too.
    The mouse button was enable so I clicked it. After it resumed, I have encountered "volsnap.sys blue screen - Windows 8 x86 and x64, HCK testing."
    This machine works good after changing from multi-boot to single-boot.

• Edited by sekihdn Monday, September 10, 2012 6:06 AM
    Monday, September 10, 2012 12:05 AM
  • You should verify you are using build 9200 as there was a known issue affecting this test prior due to a problem in the OS. The test is failing to hibernate the machine, not sleep, a reboot is occurring instead of hibernation and restore.  This appears to be a valid failure.
    Try to manually hibernate the machine under verifier as this is what is failing in the OS. Verifier is part of the built in components in the OS and can be launched by running verifier.exe. If hibernation results in a reboot in the above scenario, this verifies the issue is not a test issue but most likely a machine issue and the system used for test should be changed.

Support beyond this is not something we can offer in the forums, and I also understand this is a time-sensitive issue for you. Given this, I strongly suggest you open a support case with us for more 1:1, directed support if the above does not provide full resolution to the problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=fh;en-us;offerprophone.

Trevor Hancock (Microsoft)
    Please remember to "Mark As Answer" the replies that help.

Monday, October 1, 2012 8:26 PM

Trevor, I'm not seeing any options to manually hibernate my test machine using verifier.exe. All it does is run "stress" tests on bootup that are similar to what Microsoft uses to certify drivers. Where are you getting your information? Can you provide screenshots or more in depth instructions on how to manually test hibernate from verifier.exe? We are experiencing numerous machines that are failing the "System - Sleep with IO Before and After (Certification)" test right at the 'Run Test' step with an unexpected reboot error and no log file every time. We have enabled/disabled all hibernation & sleep settings on every different power plan, changed all advanced options, etc. and it still fails. We restore back to defaults and it continues to fail. Is this a known issue?
    Thursday, November 15, 2012 1:19 AM
  • If your test system is not automatically resuming from sleep during "Sleep with IO" tests in HCK, it may be due to faulty system wake timers and/or system BIOS issues. I suggest using systems that were logo'd for Windows 7 or greater to run your tests as all Windows 7 or greater logo'd systems would have had to pass sleep & resume tests in HCK.

I also suggest reviewing 'error' and 'warning' entries in 'Windows->System' logs from 'Event Viewer' that may point to other reasons for this observed behavior.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 16, 2012 2:36 AM
  • Does MS even certify full systems for Windows 7 or 8 logo?

You cannot see from Windows Compatibility Center which systems are certified or compatible.  You can only search for individual components.

Thursday, November 22, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Does MS even certify full systems for Windows 7 or 8 logo?

You cannot see from Windows Compatibility Center which systems are certified or compatible.  You can only search for individual components.

Login sysdv, you can find you need hardwarelist for Win7 or Win8
    https://sysdev.microsoft.com/ja-JP/Hardware/LPL/default.aspx

Thanks, Steve

• Proposed as answer by Steve Leo Thursday, November 22, 2012 10:18 PM
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:39 PM
  • Right, thanks!
    Thursday, November 22, 2012 12:59 PM