VM with Managed Disks in Failed state because of missing storage account RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VM that was converted to managed disks following this documentation:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/convert-unmanaged-to-managed-disks

After the conversion to managed disks was successful, and the VM was in working order, I deleted the storage account holding the VHD of the VM's OS disk, which (as my understanding goes) is no longer in use because we're now using the managed disk resource.

However, I am getting this error: Failed to restart Virtual Machine. Failed to restart the virtual machine. Error: Storage account not found. Ensure storage account is not deleted and belongs to the same Azure location as the VM.

Here is the screenshot to prove that the OS disk of this machine is now using managed disks:

This VM has no extensions that might use the old storage account:

I have replicated this error with another VM as well.This makes no sense to me. What is going on?

Tuesday, April 4, 2017 4:09 AM

Answers

• Nope, boot diagnostics was not the issue.

As a remediation, I did the following:

1. Stopped the VM

2. Created a new storage account with the same name as the one I previously deleted (this storage account didn't have anything on it)

3. Started the VM. The VM start this time was successful.

4. Deleted the storage account.

5. Restarted the VM. This time the VM restart was successful.

I managed to replicate this behavior with 2 VMs.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:33 PM

All replies

• There can be many reasons why a Virtual Machines is non-bootable state. While creating a virtual machine the monitoring diagnostic option is enabled and linked to an existing storage account. There could be a possibility the storage account which you have deleted was linked to these diagnostic settings and due to which you are facing issues while restarting the virtual machine.

Change the boot diagnostic settings of this VM and link it to the existing storage account.

In the portal navigate to your virtual machine and in the "settings" blade and select "Boot Diagnostics".

Refer the below article:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/canitpro/2016/05/31/step-by-step-enable-diagnostics-on-an-azure-virtual-machine/

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 5:21 AM
  • Nope, boot diagnostics was not the issue.

As a remediation, I did the following:

1. Stopped the VM

2. Created a new storage account with the same name as the one I previously deleted (this storage account didn't have anything on it)

3. Started the VM. The VM start this time was successful.

4. Deleted the storage account.

5. Restarted the VM. This time the VM restart was successful.

I managed to replicate this behavior with 2 VMs.

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 7:33 PM