none
OracleConnection + username in lowercase RRS feed

• Question

• We are using System.Data.OracleClient.OracleConnection class to connect to Oracle 10g. We need to connect to oracle using user1 (username in lowercase) username. We tried two connection strings:
    Data Source=orcl;User ID="user1";Password=user1;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;
    Data Source=orcl;User ID=user1;Password=user1;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;

Unfortunately we got “ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied” error.

However, when username in uppercase (USER1) connection is successful. For example:
    Data Source=orcl;User ID=TEST;Password=TEST;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;
    Data Source=orcl;User ID=test;Password=TEST;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;

How can we connect to Oracle when username in lowercase?
    • Moved by SamAgain Thursday, April 29, 2010 8:23 AM better fit (From:.NET Base Class Library)
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:40 PM

Answers

• Thank you all.

The correct connection string for our situation:

Data Source=orcl;User ID='"user1"';Password=user1;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;

Friday, April 30, 2010 10:48 AM

All replies

• I assume that you are using:

Oracle Data Provider.NET with a TNSListener?

I'm using OracleXE and Oracle 10g and both are working with lowercase and uppercase username and password. Can it be that your DBA has made an option Case Sensitive for username and password?

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 2:57 PM
  • We are using System.Data.OracleClient.dll v2.0
    Wednesday, April 28, 2010 3:27 PM
  • I don't believe that passwords are case sensitive in 10g so there should not be a difference. Are you certain that you are not using 11g?

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, April 29, 2010 6:00 PM
  • Thank you all.

The correct connection string for our situation:

Data Source=orcl;User ID='"user1"';Password=user1;Integrated Security=no;Connection Lifetime=60;

Friday, April 30, 2010 10:48 AM