none
App passed certification, but after downloading it from the store, the behavior has changed. RRS feed

• Question

•  When I download the app from the store, it doesn't behave the same was as it did locally, in the simulator, and on a Surface. I tried it on multiple computers, all with the same problem.

The basic flow of the app...

1. The user is prompted to enter a special key (they get the key elsewhere)
    2. The app downloads a zip file form the internet based on the user's key
    3. The app unpackages the zip file and saves the files to the application directory (Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation)
    4. The app reads in a specific file from the package that contains user's settings
    5. If settings could not be loaded, and error message is displayed

The app is getting to number 5. I am not sure if the file is failing to download, or if unzipping is the problem. Can anyone give me any tips on how to go about debugging this?

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 5:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Ultimate,

I would write the exception details in a log-file. That file can be part of your App-Install-Location. Then you can just check that file.

Thomas Claudius Huber

"If you can´t make your app run faster, make it at least look & feel extremly fast"

twitter: @thomasclaudiush
    homepage: www.thomasclaudiushuber.com
    author of: ultimate Windows Store Apps handbook | ultimate WPF handbook | ultimate Silverlight handbook

Saturday, October 5, 2013 7:58 AM
  • Windows.ApplicationModel.Package.Current.InstalledLocation is a readonly folder in production. So I think that you can't downlowd the zip file to this folder.

Best Regards,

Han Xia

-------------------------------------------------

My Blog:http://blogs.msdn.com/b/hanxia

Saturday, October 5, 2013 11:12 AM
  • Like Han says, the InstalledLocation is read only.

If you do a full test deployment (build and deploy a package rather than testing from the build directory in Visual Studio) then this would fail in testing as well.

--Rob

Saturday, October 5, 2013 9:31 PM
  • Like Han says, the InstalledLocation is read only.

If you do a full test deployment (build and deploy a package rather than testing from the build directory in Visual Studio) then this would fail in testing as well.

--Rob

I have an app that kept going wrong in certification but never went wrong running under VS2012.

It wasnt until I ran it in the simulator that I could see it go wrong.

VS must be altering how the app runs.

n.Wright

Sunday, October 6, 2013 12:03 AM
  • Ultimate Kiosk's case the issue is where the app is deployed (normally in Program Files or for development in the build directory), not whether the app runs in VS or not.

In your case it's probably not so much that VS is altering things but that the environment is slightly different in both cases. From your previous posts you've stated that you're not doing full error handling, so the app will be very sensitive to such differences. Networking issues, anti-virus, other things running on the system, etc. can cause issues that apps need to be able to deal with.

--Rob

Sunday, October 6, 2013 1:15 AM