none
Loss of Point-to-Site VPN Connectivity - Gateway Errors RRS feed

• Question

• I have been using the Azure Point-to-Site VPN to replace the existing Azure Endpoint Connect service and I have been noticing some troubling losses of VPN connectivity for clients. I get an "Error 0x800704D4: The network connection was aborted by the local system error" when trying to connect to the gateway from any of the clients I currently have configured.

I have been using the Point-to-Site VPN since June 28th. I observed a previous outage like this on July 1st at 10:00 AM Central time. It lasted for approxiametly 12 hours and I had to disconnect all clients from the Gateway before it would reslove itself. This appears to be a loss of certificate binding to the gateway, possibly caused by a migration of the virtual network or some other Azure related function. I was able to get Microsoft to look at the logs for this time period for my Virtual Network and I was told that "there were gateway errors during that period".

I am currently experiencing another outage. This one has been going for almost 14 hours now. All clients have been disconnected from the gateway. I cannot ping the Gateway subnet's default gateway address from inside the virtual network as I usually can. It appears like the gateway is not even there. The proceedure in this post succeeds, so gateway name resolution does not appear to be the problem.

Point-to-Site VPN does not connect (Error 0x800704D4: The Network connection was aborted by the local system)

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:13 PM

Answers

All replies

• I am not aware of any current outages that would explain what you are seeing, and the service dashboard is all green. But I am following up internally to see if there is another explanation for that behavior.

Thanks,
    Craig

Wednesday, July 17, 2013 7:35 PM
  • As a follow up to this posting, the total loss of Point-to-Site VPN client connectivity lasted for approximately 45 hours, ending at 2:30 PM Central Time on July 18th. During this period, the only action that I took on my side was to disconnect all VPN clients and prevent them from trying to reconnect to the gateway. I would routinely check for connectivity via my VPN client. Once, connectivity was available again, I initiated reconnection from all other clients successfully. I did not modify my existing VPN client configuration, or the Azure Virtual Network configuration in any way. 
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 5:59 PM
  • The outage event time frames above are inaccurate due to time zones, etc....Actual outage event times are as follows:

Start: 7/16/2013 10:00 PM Central Time Zone

End: 7/18/2013 2:30 PM Central Time Zone

Total Time = 40.5 Hours

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 6:46 PM