How to add WEB API 2 into my MVC 4.5 solution? RRS feed

• Question

• User214697163 posted

Hi,

I already created my MVC 4.5 solution. Used Microsoft Identity with my existing Sql Server database. Now I want to add Web Api 2 into my project. My question is
     should I add seperate WEB API 2 into my solution or just add web services in to my solution?

Saturday, October 31, 2015 8:16 AM

Answers

• User603616845 posted

Hi,

You need to put your WEB API in different project. I would only separate Web API into a separate project if you are going to build a proper API for your online service - perhaps to be consumed by external customers, or by various devices - such as fueling your mobile apps.

The reason behind this is that..

Many of the concepts used by Web API and MVC, even though similar at first glance, are actually not compatible. For example, Web API attributes are System.Web.Http.Filters.Filter and MVC attributes are System.Web.Mvc.Filter - and they are not interchangeable.

Same applies to many other concepts - model binding (completely different mechanisms), routes (Web API uses HTTPRoutes not Routes, even though they both operate on the same udnerlying RouteTable), dependency resolver (not compatible) and more - even though similar on the surface, are very different in practice. Moreover, Web API does not have a concept of areas.

Ultimately, if all you are trying to do achieve is to have a "new, trendy" way of serving up JSON content - think twice before going down that path. I certainly wouldn't recommend refactoring any existing code unless you are really looking into embracing HTTP and building your app in a RESTful way.

It all really depends on what you are building. If you are starting a new project, and all you need is to serve up some JSON to facilitate your web app - provided you willing to live with some potentially duplicate code (like the stuff I mentioned above), Web API could easily be hosted within the same project as ASP.NET MVC.

Hope this will help you.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 10:06 AM

All replies

• User603616845 posted

Hi,

You need to put your WEB API in different project. I would only separate Web API into a separate project if you are going to build a proper API for your online service - perhaps to be consumed by external customers, or by various devices - such as fueling your mobile apps.

The reason behind this is that..

Many of the concepts used by Web API and MVC, even though similar at first glance, are actually not compatible. For example, Web API attributes are System.Web.Http.Filters.Filter and MVC attributes are System.Web.Mvc.Filter - and they are not interchangeable.

Same applies to many other concepts - model binding (completely different mechanisms), routes (Web API uses HTTPRoutes not Routes, even though they both operate on the same udnerlying RouteTable), dependency resolver (not compatible) and more - even though similar on the surface, are very different in practice. Moreover, Web API does not have a concept of areas.

Ultimately, if all you are trying to do achieve is to have a "new, trendy" way of serving up JSON content - think twice before going down that path. I certainly wouldn't recommend refactoring any existing code unless you are really looking into embracing HTTP and building your app in a RESTful way.

It all really depends on what you are building. If you are starting a new project, and all you need is to serve up some JSON to facilitate your web app - provided you willing to live with some potentially duplicate code (like the stuff I mentioned above), Web API could easily be hosted within the same project as ASP.NET MVC.

Hope this will help you.

thanks

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, October 31, 2015 10:06 AM
  • User214697163 posted

Thank you Mukesh,

I have already made a MVC web app. Administrator and User will use this MVC Web App for some CRUD operations.

1. Customer use their NFC enable Mi-Fare Loyalty card to send authentication information to SQL Server database using POS terminal. (Card information and user 4 digit pin)

2. Then SQL Server database looks at the information that comes from POS terminal, process the information and send back some authorization with Loyalty information.

I will add separate MVC WEB API 2 project to my solution.

Kind Regards,

Saturday, October 31, 2015 2:00 PM