“CallExternalMethodActivity” and “ExternalDataExchangeAttribute” are obsolete in 4.5 RRS feed

• Question

• After spending so much time I found this article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd695720.aspx to communicate between host application and WF. The article & the code was developed using VS 2008 & I guess .Net 3 or 3.5

I’m using VS 2013 and .Net 4.5 and it turned out “CallExternalMethodActivity” and “ExternalDataExchangeAttribute” both are obsolete in 4.5

So what activities & attributes replaces these two? And how to Call a Method in a Host from a Running Workflow

Monday, April 28, 2014 5:27 PM

Answers

• HI,

Thanks for your feedback in WorkFlow forum.

As you mentioned above, CallExternalMethodActivity and ExternalDataExchangeAttribute are now obsolete in .net framework 4.5.  

There is some difference between .net 4.5 and previous versions for workflow. The Invoke method of the WorkflowInvoker class is used to invoke several workflow instances in .net 4.5, a WorkflowInvoker, which invokes the workflow like a method. 

Reference: Windows Workflow Overview

hope it helps.

Regards

Angie 

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Marked as answer by lax4u Wednesday, April 30, 2014 9:30 PM
    Tuesday, April 29, 2014 2:22 AM