none
Renaming an existing app in the store - local storage

Question

• I have read that it is possible to rename an app that already has been published to the store. One of the steps involves changing the package properties display name in the manifest.

My questions concern how this affects existing users of the app.

1) What happens to the user's existing data stored on their device?  We have users with substantial local data stored. Is this data lost or inaccessible to the updated app. After changing the package display name, I am finding the the local storage exists in a different location due to the name change.

2) Is the updated app treated as a new application to an existing user? Will the renamed app replace or co-exist with the existing app on their device?

Thank you in advance.

Monday, March 16, 2015 6:54 PM

Answers

• Changing the display name won't have any effect on users' data.

So long as you don't change the publisher ID and app ID it'll still be considered the same app.

Monday, March 16, 2015 7:54 PM

All replies

• Changing the display name won't have any effect on users' data.

So long as you don't change the publisher ID and app ID it'll still be considered the same app.

Monday, March 16, 2015 7:54 PM
  • 1) it will be the same data, with no edit with the same local storage directory. 

2) No, it will be treated as the same application 

Please 'Mark as Answer' if my post answers your question and 'Vote as Helpful' if it helps you.

Tuesday, March 17, 2015 2:02 PM