Why are people not rating or reviewing? RRS feed

• Question

• Why are people so reluctant to give rating or write a review? I have som hundred downloads, and until now only 2 persons have rated my game. These two people, that is unknown to me, have rated it 5 star. One of those also wrote a favourable review. So naturally in my mind I think my game is the greatest game in the world, based on those two ratings.. hehe..

Is this something other developes struggle with? Getting people to leave ratings? I have a couple of popups asking the user to leave a review or rate the game, but I don't want to nag them about it either.

Monday, May 4, 2015 12:56 PM

All replies

• This is normal. My most popular app has had 9,000+ downloads. Only about 250 ratings and 90 or so reviews.  I used to put in popups to remind people to rate and review. I've found that it makes absolutely no difference.

I've had hundreds of emails from people asking for help or giving suggestions.  I've responded to every email within hours of receiving them and asked them to rate and review after the problem was resolved.  So far, only about 5 from those hundreds of emails have actually rated and reviewed.

Nowadays, I've stopped worrying about getting ratings and reviews.  I think it's human nature to not give feedback.

Monday, May 4, 2015 5:00 PM
  • Only devs and geeks care about reviews, unfortunately.

Don't be mislead by some apps having thousands of reviews, there are reviews mafias doing fake reviews and others offering "free" stuff if you "give 5 star review" which is not ethical at all.

So for me reviews is only a nice to have.

Regards

Monday, May 4, 2015 10:22 PM
  • Do you guys know how much the store relies on reviews for ranking etc.? Is it possible to get featured/promoted/on the toplists on the Store without having hundreds of positive reviews?

• Edited by Molvil Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:12 AM
    Tuesday, May 5, 2015 6:11 AM
  • Do you guys know how much the store relies on reviews for ranking etc.? Is it possible to get featured/promoted/on the toplists on the Store without having hundreds of positive reviews?

I am well aware of the significance having reviews is. What I'm saying is it is out of our control.

Trust me, there is absolutely nothing you can do to get people to review your app more.  I've tried everything as I used to be obsessed with it.  People were downloading and buying my apps.  Not just windows store, but also other platforms.  One of my apps alone pays for my house.  And yet, it's got very few reviews.  And again, I've tried everything short of whoring myself out.  People just don't care to review apps. 

It's less of a headache if you just ignore it.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 7:31 PM
  • Oh, sorry, that was a question :) Didn't meen to make it sound like I'm telling you how significant it is. I asked because I was wondering if downloads counted more than reviews or the other way around. I don't know what kind of algorithm the store use.

Guess You're right Im better of just ignoring it. Not much anyone can do.

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:21 PM
  • Oh, sorry, that was a question :) Didn't meen to make it sound like I'm telling you how significant it is. I asked because I was wondering if downloads counted more than reviews or the other way around. I don't know what kind of algorithm the store use.

Guess You're right Im better of just ignoring it. Not much anyone can do.

App ratings only affect 1 category.  The rest depend on how many downloads and how much it sold.

Trust me, you're better of not worrying about it.  You are free to try to get people to rate and review more.  I'm just telling you now, I've tried everything.  I used to be obsessed with it.  Nothing I did make any difference at all regarding how often people rate my apps.

Remember that one of my apps has 9k downloads and it's only got 200 ratings and 90 reviews.  Just ignore it.

I wish you the best of luck :-)

Tuesday, May 5, 2015 9:56 PM