Generated proxy doesn't map anything to service operations RRS feed

• Question

• The datasvcutil program generates strongly typed DataServiceQuery properties for the entities but not for any service operations I have defined. Is this by design or am I missing something? I've tried searching and haven't found anyone mention this. I admit it is a little hard to find information with the recent name changes in SP1 because most of the posts/blogs/etc use the old names.

I have successfully called a service operation by manually calling CreateQuery<T> and AddQueryOption, but it is cumbersome and not nearly as nice as using the generated strongly typed DataServiceQuery properties.

I will likely create some functions on the partial DataServiceContext class that automate the CreateQuery calls, but it sure seems like that is something that could be done automatically during the proxy generation.
    Tuesday, June 3, 2008 3:49 PM

Answers

• Omnius, thanks for your feedback.

We're aware that DataSvcUtil doesn't generate any code for service operations, however for the time being the recommendation is to add methods on the partial class like you are doing at the moment. We'll consider improving the experience with the tool in the future - I'm sorry I can't offer a better solution now.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:35 AM

All replies

• Omnius, thanks for your feedback.

We're aware that DataSvcUtil doesn't generate any code for service operations, however for the time being the recommendation is to add methods on the partial class like you are doing at the moment. We'll consider improving the experience with the tool in the future - I'm sorry I can't offer a better solution now.

Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:35 AM
  • Thanks for the reply. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something obvious. I am fine with manually adding stuff to the partial class for now.
    Wednesday, June 4, 2008 12:43 PM