none
Visual Studio 2010 is not responding after stopping the application RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Thanks for reading. Currently am using Visual Studio 2010 Premium version on Windows 7 OS. The Visual Studio installed on Dell Vastro 1014 laptop with 4 gb ram and 500 gb hdd. I'm not running any other software other than the anti virus software, which is a company policy. I'm happy with the installation and the coding is going as fun for about an year.

But offlate, for about couple of months, am not sure what happened or what went wrong, the VS is not responding when stopped any running application. This is not just when stopped, but when ever i move between opened files as well. For instance if i wanted to view the object browser from my code window and pressed Ctrl+W, J .. it stops responding for about more than 5 mins and then shows the window. After find the desired results, then when i wanted to go to code window, the situation is same.. wait for about more than 4 mins.

How to understand why VS is not responding? What could be a solution for this?

Thanks for reading till here.

Every thing is perfect as long as you share
    Monday, May 30, 2011 5:36 PM

Answers

• Hi Chakravarthy,

Thanks for your post.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE issues, there would be many causes for it to happen. In order to provide specific suggestions to resolve this issue, would you please help to clarify the things below?

• What is the project type you are working on?
    • Did this issue happens on all project types? Would you please try some different project types to see if this always happen?
    • Would you please check the Event Viewer to see if any errors have logged while this issue happens?
    • Did you have any add-ins/third party tools installed?

To help locate the cause of this issue, we can enable Visual Studio log to logs all activity to the specified log path.
    Please try running Devenv.exe /log <log path> in Start menu >> Run, the log files will be generated in the <log path>. Then you can check and analyze the log file to see if there is anything incorrect.

Another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list. This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the error happens. Please see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/06/01/troubleshooting-with-process-monitor.aspx

You can also try some common troubleshooting methods below:

• Try running devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    • Try running devenv /ResetSkipPkgs;
    • Try running devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    • Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
    • Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

I hope this will help to solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Chakravarthy,

Thanks for your post.

Frankly speaking, for VS IDE issues, there would be many causes for it to happen. In order to provide specific suggestions to resolve this issue, would you please help to clarify the things below?

• What is the project type you are working on?
    • Did this issue happens on all project types? Would you please try some different project types to see if this always happen?
    • Would you please check the Event Viewer to see if any errors have logged while this issue happens?
    • Did you have any add-ins/third party tools installed?

To help locate the cause of this issue, we can enable Visual Studio log to logs all activity to the specified log path.
    Please try running Devenv.exe /log <log path> in Start menu >> Run, the log files will be generated in the <log path>. Then you can check and analyze the log file to see if there is anything incorrect.

Another useful tool is the Process Monitor tool which can capture the access log.
    Filter on the process name devenv.exe in the log so that you see only the related list. This should give you more info on what are the registry keys/ files being accessed when the error happens. Please see: http://blogs.technet.com/b/askperf/archive/2007/06/01/troubleshooting-with-process-monitor.aspx

You can also try some common troubleshooting methods below:

• Try running devenv /Resetsettings to eliminate the cause of corrupted settings.
    • Try running devenv /ResetSkipPkgs;
    • Try running devenv /Safemode to see if you can apply it correctly. This can eliminate the possibility that third party Add-ins or packages are causing problems.
    • Reboot the machine into Safe Mode. This can isolate some third party application/driver's interference.
    • Switch to try a new user account. This can rule out the possibility of corrupted user profile.

I hope this will help to solve your problem.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011 4:19 AM
  • Hi Chakravarthy,

We have not heard from you in a couple of days. Would you mind letting me know the result of the suggestions?

If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best Regards,

Andrew Wu [MSFT]

Thursday, June 2, 2011 9:10 AM