MSDE upgrade to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am planning an upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 (Build 9.00.3042.0) for our 2000/2K3 Servers. The MSDE installation on our servers is a standalone installation (default instance) and uses Mixed Mode Authentication. When I execute the setup program for upgrade and choose SQL Server Authentication (and enter the corresponding SA user Id password), the setup program displays an error "SQL Server Setup cannot upgrade the specified instance by using SQL Server Credential. You must use Windows Authentication credential for the upgrade". However, when I select Windows Authentication for the upgrade, the setup program displays an error “[Microsoft][SQL Native Client][SQL Server]Password validation failed. The password does not meet the requirements of the password filter DLL.. To continue, correct the problem, and then run SQL Server Setup again” (Error Code 15119).

I even tried changing the Authentication mode from Mixed Mode to Windows Authentication (by changing the LoginMode registry key value to 1) and running the upgrade using Windows Authentication, but I receive the same error.

1) Is the password policy for SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 different from MSDE or SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (Initial Version), since upgrade from MSDE to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition (Initial Version) worked successfully without any issues.

2) When I am using Windows Authentication for the upgrade, the installer does not prompt me for any password. What password is the installer validating against the password filter DLL? Is there a way to find it out? Also, is it possible to find out what was the reason for the password validation to fail?

I would really appreciate if I could get some answers to all the problems I am facing.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Friday, September 28, 2007 2:49 PM

Answers

• I guess we have been able to figure out the cause of the problem (atleast part of the problem) and have been able to successfully perform the upgrade of MSDE 2000 to MS SQL Server 2005 Express Edition. SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2 does not allow upgrade using SA authentication. However, I have now been able to successfully upgrade the MSDE instance using Windows authentication. The problem was because of the fact that the SQL server express installer verified the passwords against the PASSFILT.DLL file under C:\WINNT\System32 folder. On our Windows 2003 servers, the DLL is loaded in the memory and hence the installer verifies all passwords against the password policy defined under the DLL. However, we are working on understanding what the actual policy is, but for the time being, renaming the DLL (and rebooting the server to unload the DLL from the memory) and running the installer resulted in a successful upgrade of MSDE 2000 to SQL Server 2005 Express Edition SP2.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Sahil Girotra

Monday, October 15, 2007 2:01 PM