none
Visual Studio 2010 and 2015

Question

• I have VS 2010 installed on my PC and VS2015 community on my laptop. Both machines use the source code stored on onedrive.

I would like to develop apps on both machines using common files. If I save and build using VS2015 will VS2010 still read the  project and solutions files saved by VS2015?

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 12:29 PM

Answers

• There will be a compatibility problem with opening the sln in VS 2010 after you have created or opened it in VS 2015. Opening an older version in 2015 will cause an automatic update of the project so it will be fully compatible with VS 2015. With Microsoft OS and software, everything is almost always has backwards compatible support, but new stuff is generally not compatible with the older versions.

One workaround that I would try is to keep the same set of source code files in a TFS or git repository that you could check out to both types of projects on your two systems. Just eliminate file like sln, proj, etc. from the shared repository so that you can continue to use the old version of these files in VS 2010. 

Dan Randolph - My Code Samples List

Tuesday, April 26, 2016 7:27 PM