none
The Net Framework 4 is installed, but still wants me to install it. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, everyone! I have a problem with my Net Framework 4 .. Yesterday, I've tried to install a program and when I ran the install an error showed up saying "To run this application, you first must install one of the following of the .NET Framework: 4.0.303.19. Contact your application publisher for instructions about obtaining the appropriate version of the .NET Framework." So, the problem is that I already have Net Framework 4. I've tried to repair it, then I deleted it and installed it again but none of this worked. The error is still there and I can't install my program. Here is a picture of the error. I am with Windows 7, 64 - bit operating system. Any ideas what to do? Thanks in advance. :)

• Edited by CBella Monday, April 2, 2012 5:17 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• That message indicates that .NET Framework 4.0 is installed, but is corrupt and not working correctly when needed. That's why you keep getting the message that it needs to be installed when you try to install software that needs it.

If you removed .NET 4.0, then reinstalled as instructed by SophiaParker, and your installation is immediately corrupt, you have two choices:

1. You can retry the full uninstall/reinstall again and see if .NET 4.0 will verify after that, or

2. You can reinstall your OS (which is probably the culprit for the corruption), then install .NET 4.0.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but I've seen cases like yours where the OS is corrupting installed software, and in the end the only cure was a clean install of the OS.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:15 PM

All replies

• Hi CBella,

Please use this tool to remove .NET Framework 4.0 from your system:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/08/28/8904493.aspx 

Once it is removed, reinstall as follows:

Please follow these instructions exactly:

1. Download a fresh copy of the standalone installer for .NET Framework 4.0:

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=17718

2. Before running the installer, apply irarab's fix as follows:

"I went to "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET" there is a directory called "assembly".

I looked in the directory and found some subdirectories with lots of old dot net 4 files. I renamed the directory assembly2 and tried to install Dot Net 4 and it worked!!!!

(You can't delete the assembly directory unless you take ownership of it but you can rename it.)"

Also, clear your %temp% directory and disable your AV software.

The %temp% directory is a reference to the Temp folder associated with the current user. To clear it, do the following:

Sign on to your system with the Administrator user account you will use to run the installer. Click the Start Orb and type %temp% in the search box. The search results will show the Temp folder you want. Click on the Temp folder to open it in Windows Explorer, then delete the entire contents.

3. Run the standalone installer from step 1 As Administrator.

Note: Just using an administrator account is NOT enough. To activate full privileges, you must right-click the installer, then select Run as administrator.

If the install fails, provide complete install logs as follows:

Please collect your install logs with this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E0DA314F-6216-4A18-BC6B-7D29CF83AF20&displaylang=e&displaylang=en

After you run Collect.exe, you'll find vslogs.cab in your %temp% directory. Please upload vslogs.cab to a public site, like SkyDrive, and post the link here.

Best Regards,

Sophia

• Marked as answer by CBella Monday, April 2, 2012 5:38 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by CBella Monday, April 2, 2012 5:38 PM
    Monday, April 2, 2012 5:18 PM
  • I did everything except the Collect.exe (the last link), because the install did not failed. So, I did everything, restarted my PC but the errors is still there.. :(
    Monday, April 2, 2012 6:10 PM
  • It is possible that the installation succeeded, but is corrupt.

Please use this tool to check:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

Look at the last ~15 lines of tool output, and post those lines here. They will show the test app result.

Tuesday, April 3, 2012 2:32 PM
  • It is possible that the installation succeeded, but is corrupt.

Please use this tool to check:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/astebner/archive/2008/10/13/8999004.aspx 

Look at the last ~15 lines of tool output, and post those lines here. They will show the test app result.

Hello, pvdg42 ! Thank you for the help. So, I tried to check the status with this tool but it says Current Status: "Product verification failed. See log for details." I checked the Log - it's sayin' "****ERROR**** Verification failed for product .NET Framework 4 Full". Why the tool can't check the Net Framework? What should I do? And really, thanks for the help.
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 3:47 PM
  • That message indicates that .NET Framework 4.0 is installed, but is corrupt and not working correctly when needed. That's why you keep getting the message that it needs to be installed when you try to install software that needs it.

If you removed .NET 4.0, then reinstalled as instructed by SophiaParker, and your installation is immediately corrupt, you have two choices:

1. You can retry the full uninstall/reinstall again and see if .NET 4.0 will verify after that, or

2. You can reinstall your OS (which is probably the culprit for the corruption), then install .NET 4.0.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but I've seen cases like yours where the OS is corrupting installed software, and in the end the only cure was a clean install of the OS.

• Proposed as answer by Alexander Sun Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander Sun Tuesday, April 17, 2012 9:19 AM
    Tuesday, April 3, 2012 7:15 PM

I've already tried to uninstall and reinstall but it's the same. Just wondering why it's saying "Installation complete" when obviously it's not installed right. Anyway, I guess my only choice is to reinstall my OS, but that's not a option for me, because I cannot do it myself. Anyway, thank you for helping me out, guys!
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 3:24 PM
  • Hi CBella,

If you have any problems about repairing or reinstalling, please go to the Windows Answers forum for better support: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system

I hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Alexander Sun [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Friday, April 6, 2012 7:36 AM