none
Visual Studio 2017 Error and Hang on Adding Anything New

Question

• I have been trying to figure out what is wrong with Visual studio and have not been able to figure it out. Whenever I add a new project, class, anything to a project really, it will bring up the menu with all the templates, then on creation it will hang on "Initializing Templates" and never leave. I have set Visual studio to log the error and here it is.

<type>Warning</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>Error!  Unable to access file (C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_241de5d3\ItemTemplatesCache\cache.bin).</description>

I have tried uninstalling completely and reinstalling and making sure I ran as Admin. I have also looked in the registry to see if I can even find a key associated with this, but was unsuccessful. I have not seen a post with a similar issue either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Monday, May 1, 2017 12:25 PM

Answers

• Hi RyanClements,

Thank you for your update.

I have checked your shared log and found there is no VS 2017 installation logs. Did you successfully installed the VS 2017?

Meanwhile, I found some installation logs about VS community/professional 2015 and it looks like those installation log recorded the error code '0x80044000'.

If you want to uninstall VS 2015 and install the VS 2017, please have a try with the following:

1. Download the VisualStudioUninstaller  to uninstall the VS 2015 and run it for several times

2. Run the command: sfc /scannow to scan the required system file, in case some files are missing

3. Run the Fixit tool

4. Make sure windows update is up-to-date, all pending windows update are installed and reboot the computer

5. Temporarily disable any anti-virus software, clean up the %temp% folder and re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator to re-install. If you have not uninstall VS 2017 yet, please follow this to completely uninstall it.

If this issue persists, please collect the latest VS installation logs and share it in here, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by RyanClements Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:15 AM

All replies

• Hi RyanClements,

Welcome to the MSDN forum.

Refer to your description and the error message, please have a look at this similar issue: Visual Studio 2017 hangs at “initializing templates…”

If you meet the same error message of duplicate template ids like Blackrain, please have a try with the Blackrain’s solution as below:

**I ended up having to uninstall VS 2017 again. Uninstall Windows 10 SDK (of which I had two versions for some reason). Run VS 2017 installer as administrator.

**Still, I loaded up VS 2017 and the templates initialized immediately. So this problem is resolved.

If the above not works, make sure you already checked hidden files and check the existing of this file: C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\15.0_241de5d3\ItemTemplatesCache\cache.bin. If you can find it, confirm the administrator account is the ownership and have full control. If not, clean up the ItemTemplatesCache folder, then run the developer command prompt for VS 2017 as administrator, and run the following commands:

devenv /installvstemplates

devenv /setup

If this issue persists, please upload the whole log file to https://onedrive.live.com/ or using the command: devenv /log to create the log and upload, then share the link in here, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, May 2, 2017 6:32 AM
  • I have reinstalled (again) and have not had any luck so far. Same issue is happening. I have ran all the commands above as well prior to this recent reinstall all to no avail. The error log is located here. https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoE_asMHwXXYaM8Lr0UMW8d7TeM Thanks for your help.
    Tuesday, May 2, 2017 1:44 PM
  • Hi RyanClements,

Thank you for your update.

I have checked your shared log and found there is no VS 2017 installation logs. Did you successfully installed the VS 2017?

Meanwhile, I found some installation logs about VS community/professional 2015 and it looks like those installation log recorded the error code '0x80044000'.

If you want to uninstall VS 2015 and install the VS 2017, please have a try with the following:

1. Download the VisualStudioUninstaller  to uninstall the VS 2015 and run it for several times

2. Run the command: sfc /scannow to scan the required system file, in case some files are missing

3. Run the Fixit tool

4. Make sure windows update is up-to-date, all pending windows update are installed and reboot the computer

5. Temporarily disable any anti-virus software, clean up the %temp% folder and re-run the VS 2017 installer as administrator to re-install. If you have not uninstall VS 2017 yet, please follow this to completely uninstall it.

If this issue persists, please collect the latest VS installation logs and share it in here, thank you for your cooperation.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support

• Marked as answer by RyanClements Wednesday, May 3, 2017 1:04 PM
    Wednesday, May 3, 2017 7:15 AM