SerialPort in the ToolBox RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Can you please give me some information on what is the difference between the SerialPort in the ToolBox and the one you call in your code when you configure the Comport? It will be good if someone can explain to me the usefullness of that SerialPort in the ToolBox. I think this is another silly question from a learner.

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 4:25 AM

Answers

• Hi MrSwabe,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

Use this class to control a serial port file resource. This class provides synchronous and event-driven I/O, access to pin and break states, and access to serial driver properties. Additionally, the functionality of this class can be wrapped in an internal Stream object, accessible through the BaseStream property, and passed to classes that wrap or use streams.

Read the context here, it may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.ports.serialport.aspx

Hope these helps, if you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alan Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

• Marked as answer by MrSwabe Monday, September 6, 2010 12:13 AM
    Friday, September 3, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to change the SerialPort Properties dynamically(based on your communiction with other deivces)then you have to write a code.

SerialPort in ToolBox and serialPort class in code both are same...

PS.Shakeer Hussain Hyderabad
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 9:31 AM

All replies

• Can you please give me some information on what is the difference between the SerialPort in the ToolBox and the one you call in your code when you configure the Comport? It will be good if someone can explain to me the usefullness of that SerialPort in the ToolBox. I think this is another silly question from a learner.

The one I call in my code is the same one.  What is your Comport?  The SerialPort is well covered in the documentation, but I can't find a Comport.
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:56 AM
  • Hi MrSwabe,

Welcome to MSDN forums!

Use this class to control a serial port file resource. This class provides synchronous and event-driven I/O, access to pin and break states, and access to serial driver properties. Additionally, the functionality of this class can be wrapped in an internal Stream object, accessible through the BaseStream property, and passed to classes that wrap or use streams.

Read the context here, it may help: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.io.ports.serialport.aspx

Hope these helps, if you have any problems, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Alan Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help

Friday, September 3, 2010 5:36 AM
  • Hi,

If you want to change the SerialPort Properties dynamically(based on your communiction with other deivces)then you have to write a code.

SerialPort in ToolBox and serialPort class in code both are same...

PS.Shakeer Hussain Hyderabad
    Saturday, September 4, 2010 9:31 AM
  • Thank you for the information.

Regards,

MrSwabe

Monday, September 6, 2010 12:14 AM