none
Beginner Needs To Know What I Need To Purchase In Order To Acomplish My Goal ? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am a beginner and would like a beginners guidance.

I have had a program constructed with C# and built with .NET 2005 by a well informed programmer.

I have the source code and would like to examine it, but being just a beginner I know not where to start.

The programmer informed me of the following:

"The source code is in C# and built with .NET 2005 (but 2008 or 2003 should also work just fine).  Any programmer would need to know C# and SQL to make additions or modifications to this project."

My question is:
    What do I need to buy  (in order to learn) and to view the source code of my project as described above. I am on a budget and need to make some changes to formulas.

Thanks for any help

Friday, March 6, 2009 7:18 PM

Answers

• Hi!

If you have the source code, you can open any .cs file with a regular text editor. So you can look at the sources without having any IDE. If you'll want to modify the program or to make your life easier and actually understand something form the project, you should install Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008). I recommend at least the Standard Edition.

Evan though, if you do not know C# it will be quite hard to understand, 'cause you'll not know what to start with. I'd recommend you to start learning the language. If you do not know programming, you'll not be able to understand anything. It would be like when you put an economist to perform a surgery :)

Good luck,

Lucian Baciu, http://studentclub.ro/lucians_weblog
    • Marked as answer by Figo Fei Monday, March 9, 2009 7:59 AM
    Friday, March 6, 2009 11:44 PM