none
Help with opening site???? RRS feed

• Question

• Please help, Im a rookie at this but I'm trying to open my website and when I put my ftp:// address in with user and pass I continue to get error message??? can someone please help me access the server... Im just trying to make updates to my fathers website.... HELP???
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:29 PM

All replies

• You haven't bothered to mention what the errors are.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:34 PM
  • Should he not be guided by the holy spirit?
    Monday, April 26, 2010 9:59 PM
  • Should he not be guided by the holy spirit?

Troublemaker.
    I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Error: The server unexpectedly closed the connection.

Sorry Im an idiot at this, but wow such nastiness....  anyway i just tried open site, put in the ftp://carrerasfianancial.net and then user and pass and i get the error??  im just trying to edit some of the home page...   if you can help it would be great, the expression help is a joke...

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 12:42 PM
  • With the site open click Tools > Application options.

On the General tab Check or uncheck if it is already checked: Use passive FTP.

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Error: The server unexpectedly closed the connection.

Sorry Im an idiot at this, but wow such nastiness....  anyway i just tried open site, put in the ftp://carrerasfianancial.net and then user and pass and i get the error??  im just trying to edit some of the home page...   if you can help it would be great, the expression help is a joke...

Nastiness? You posted an ambiguous subject line, with too much punctuation, that could refer to anything, and don't provide the error message you're seeing, or the server type you're using. One responder quite rightly enquires about the nature of the error, another couple joke with him, and you think that's nasty? Dude, god help you if you ever find yourself posting to a Usenet newsgroup.

If you had read the BEFORE POSTING sticky, which means just exactly what the title says, and which you fairly obviously did not, you would have found posting guidelines. Among them are [1] using a meaningful subject line and [2] providing sufficient information in your post that others can help you. Might want to keep those ideas in mind for the future.

As to your question, it sometimes happens that providing EW the address in the form ftp://ftp.carrerasfianancial.net will get the job done. Try that with both passive and active ftp to see if that gets you sorted.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 6:45 PM
  • Scott, I think you need to take a chill pill here.

I assume the OP thought he or she was the target of the Troublemaker comment, thinking it was agreement with the holy spirit joke.  Certainly not what I assumed, but it could have been seen that way by someone not familiar with the posters, especially since the Troublemaker comment itself seems to me to result from a misinterpretation of its target's intent.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:18 PM
  • You're kidding, right?

In my first paragraph I pointed out that the banter, especially the "troublemaker" comment, was between those posters. In my second I explained why the post might have elicited the comments to begin with, and in the third I proferred a possible solution to the issue. I feel no need to redact any of that.

What amazes me is that normal, otherwise well-adjusted people who would never even think of taking offense at japes and jibes, even sarcasm, in a live, in-person discourse with others, suddenly develop onion-skin thin skins when they come online, taking offense at even the slightest thing that even sounds as if it might be aimed in their direction.

What is even more amazing is that they allow themselves to be offended by people they have never met, in all likelihood will never meet, and who have precisely zero impact on their personal real lives. Oh, and that they take offense simply because they are told they have done something wrong, even if it is absolutely true that they have done so. I would wager that the same people would never permit themselves to be seen behaving that way in ordinary discourse with live individuals.

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:45 PM
  • Scott, I still disagree with you on this one.  A new person asking a question and thinking they are being called a troublemaker with no other explanation, just for asking, will be correct in thinking the reply was nasty.  The OP stated that, and moved on with clarification of the question, no diatribe.  A resonable reply would be to correct the misintepretation of the target of the comment, rather than to berate him or her.

I assure you that "wow, such nastiness..." and nothing more, speaks of taking far less offense than your post seems to say that you took at the OP's reply.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:11 PM
  • Well, I suppose we'll just have to disagree on this one.

As for your last point, I find it hard to imagine how I could have taken offense at his reply, given that I was not even involved in the thread until my reply.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:24 PM
  • I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.

I've always known why the chicked crossed the road...

..... to prove to the armadillo that it could be done.

;-)

Expression Web MVP
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 8:26 PM
  • I've always known why the chicked crossed the road...

..... to prove to the armadillo that it could be done.

Not in Florida, it can't.

On a bike tour of northern Florida years ago we decided that the state animal of Florida was the dead armadillo.

All we saw of them were road kills.

I dream of a better world...a world in which a chicken can cross the road without its motives being questioned.
    Tuesday, April 27, 2010 11:44 PM