none
Cannot establish Bluetooth DUN in Windows CE even though paired RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows CE 5.0 that I have built using the platform builder on a medical device and I must stay with Windows CE 5.  I have successfully paired with a phone that exposes Bluetooth DUN with the CE device, however, I cannot establish a Bluetooth DUN connection.  I know the Bluetooth device works, since I am able to use it to establish serial port connections to other devices.

No IP address is assigned in the "BTPAN1" Network Connections, even though the settings are set to use DHCP.  I also tried setting up a DUN network connection but with no success, it does not find a modem on any of the listed COM ports.  However, the list of COM ports does not change even though I have paired with the device, perhaps that is the problem.

Is there a special driver I need to add to the OS so this works?  I know the phone is able to provide a Bluetooth DUN since I can establish one with the same phone to a Windows 7 based PC.

Thank you

JTK
    Sunday, May 29, 2011 11:01 PM

Answers

• How are you trying to setup the DUN connection, using the API or using the UI?

If you use the UI you should:

-from the BT control panel pair with the phone, selecting its DUN service (a phone icon IIRC); once you paired double tap on the authenticated device icon and flag 'active'

-from the Network and Dial-up Connections select Make New Connection. you should see the phone among the available modems

Notice that the serial port corresponding to BT devices will not use the "COM" prefix, it will use the "BSP" prefix.

Once you are able to connect by hand you may want to manage the connection creation, including the BT device handling, in your code: if it is the case you can refer to the various samples in %_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\DRIVERS\BLUETOOTH\SAMPLE

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by JTK Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:30 AM

All replies

• How are you trying to setup the DUN connection, using the API or using the UI?

If you use the UI you should:

-from the BT control panel pair with the phone, selecting its DUN service (a phone icon IIRC); once you paired double tap on the authenticated device icon and flag 'active'

-from the Network and Dial-up Connections select Make New Connection. you should see the phone among the available modems

Notice that the serial port corresponding to BT devices will not use the "COM" prefix, it will use the "BSP" prefix.

Once you are able to connect by hand you may want to manage the connection creation, including the BT device handling, in your code: if it is the case you can refer to the various samples in %_WINCEROOT%\PUBLIC\COMMON\OAK\DRIVERS\BLUETOOTH\SAMPLE

Luca Calligaris lucaDOTcalligarisATeurotechDOTcom www.eurotech.com Check my blog: http://lcalligaris.wordpress.com
    • Marked as answer by JTK Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:42 AM
    Tuesday, May 31, 2011 6:30 AM
  • Ultimately I will be doing this via an API since this is on a medical device and we cannot allow the Windows UI to show.  What is the "phone icon IIRC" icon look like?  Is there some reference so I can see what it looks like?   This is exactly one of the problems I was having, how to know which icon, if any, represents the DUN service. 

Also, I have tried flagging both exposed services as "active" but still don't recall seeing the "BSP..." serial port name.  However I will double check.

I know the phone does expose the DUN interface since it works with Windows 7, what if I find out that the icons I am seeing do NOT represent the DUN service?  Does that mean I need to include some other option in the Windows CE build?  Any thoughts on this or advice?

Thanks

JTK
    Wednesday, June 1, 2011 1:41 AM