Run desktop (jar file) on handheld device running windows mobile RRS feed

Answers

• That is probably not possible as this application likely requires full version of JRE/JVM -J2SE or J2EE (which in turn requires desktop OS). Likely all you have on the device is an old version of J2ME (and even that probably needs to be installed separately).

You need to either port this application to the new OS and different JVM (if you have source code and manpower to do that) or you would need a different handheld. E.g. some tablet running Windows 8.x (not RT) should work. 

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Eileen ni Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:35 AM
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:58 PM

All replies

• That is probably not possible as this application likely requires full version of JRE/JVM -J2SE or J2EE (which in turn requires desktop OS). Likely all you have on the device is an old version of J2ME (and even that probably needs to be installed separately).

You need to either port this application to the new OS and different JVM (if you have source code and manpower to do that) or you would need a different handheld. E.g. some tablet running Windows 8.x (not RT) should work. 

• Marked as answer by Eileen ni Thursday, April 17, 2014 1:35 AM
    Sunday, April 6, 2014 5:58 PM
  • Hi,

You can run only J2ME applications on Windows Mobile but not your desktop application jar.

if you want run your J2ME application on Windows Mobile handhelds, You have to install midlet manager on your mobile. You may also need to install sun java CLDC. But designing UI and accessing hardware capabilities are big challenges.

But the easies way to develop the application for Windows handhelds are with C#/VB.net by using VS 2008 IDE.

Please let me know if you need any information on this.

-Malleswar

Wednesday, April 9, 2014 11:58 AM
  • thanks so much for your hep.

the next step is to :

i want to make application interact with SAP system.

what is the best practice for developing this app :  develop smart device application  or web application to access it through this handheld with windows mobile 6.5?

which will be faster ?

please give me the advice.

thanks in advance.

www.rslan.com

Thursday, April 17, 2014 3:11 PM
  • That depends on the usage pattern and available resources.

Say, you have permanent connection from devices to your server infrastructure and bunch of skilled Web developers, then probably web app is the way to go. So just do whatever works for you. 

I would also suggest checking support status for everything you will use to run the application. Perhaps picking more modern platform would be beneficial.

For example, Windows Mobile 6.5:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=14658

Thursday, April 17, 2014 4:20 PM