How to become an ISV RRS feed

• Question

• How to become an ISV?
    what are the advantages of being an ISV and purchasing a MSDN Subscription?
    what are the licensing Issues?
    Having a MSDN Subscription and being an ISV can I deploy the developed applications to my clients?

How much should I pay to be an ISV and have a MSDN Universal Subscription? (in Indian Rupees)

Can an Freelancer be a ISV? Can the Freelancer be a ISV and Work for a Company who is a MS Partner?

Please answer these questions in a sentence or two.
    Wednesday, October 19, 2005 7:42 PM

Answers

• Hi Ahsi,

I'm sure that others on this forum can share their personal experiences and advice with you from the ISV perspective.

I can hopefully help out by providing some insight on what the term ISV means to my team (Microsoft ISV Buddy):

An Independent Software Vendor (ISV) is a company (of any size) who develops one or more software solutions on the Microsoft platform and sells their solution(s) to one or more external customers.

You might want to look into the various levels of the Microsoft Partner Program available to ISVs, including the Empower program which is a great way to start. Basic registration in the Partner Program is free and then, if you so choose, you can select the Partner level that best suits you. http://msdn.microsoft.com/isv/partnering/default.aspx is a good starting point.

hope this helps,
    -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

--
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:53 PM
  • You can find your point of contact in India via the Partner RSC site:
    https://partners.microsoft.com/partnerprogram/contactmicrosoftpublic.aspx

This was posted to a related thread by someone on the Empower team:

Empower ISVs will receive Visual Studio 2005 Professional with an MSDN Premium (not Professional) subscription. All of the tools and software available in MSDN Universal will still be available in the new offering, including legacy developer tools.  Licensing remains the same.  I would like to emphasize that this is not a downgrade: it is equivalent to the MSDN Universal Empower members receive today.

Gold Certified and Certified partners who have achieved the ISV/Software Solutions Competency and Gold Certified Partners receive Visual Studio 2005 Team Software Developer plus MSDN Premium. Those in the ISV Competency receive extra development licenses by virtue of their ISV status. 

Please note also that while the MSDN web site has the most complete information about the new offerings, it is directed at partners and customers who have individual MSDN subscriptions.  Therefore, some of the information there may not be applicable.  We strive to have updated information for you available at the Regional Service Centers, so please continue to contact them with questions.

All the best!
    -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)
    Friday, October 21, 2005 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi Ahsi,

I'm sure that others on this forum can share their personal experiences and advice with you from the ISV perspective.

I can hopefully help out by providing some insight on what the term ISV means to my team (Microsoft ISV Buddy):

An Independent Software Vendor (ISV) is a company (of any size) who develops one or more software solutions on the Microsoft platform and sells their solution(s) to one or more external customers.

You might want to look into the various levels of the Microsoft Partner Program available to ISVs, including the Empower program which is a great way to start. Basic registration in the Partner Program is free and then, if you so choose, you can select the Partner level that best suits you. http://msdn.microsoft.com/isv/partnering/default.aspx is a good starting point.

hope this helps,
    -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

--
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, October 20, 2005 4:53 PM
  • Thanks for the advice, I did sign up for the ISV and Empower program. But I want to be a MSDN subsricber. So will It be an advantage to be an ISV and have a MSDN Subscriptions.

what are the Point of contact in India where I can purchase a MSDN Subscription or renew it ?

Thursday, October 20, 2005 7:45 PM
  • You can find your point of contact in India via the Partner RSC site:
    https://partners.microsoft.com/partnerprogram/contactmicrosoftpublic.aspx

This was posted to a related thread by someone on the Empower team:

Empower ISVs will receive Visual Studio 2005 Professional with an MSDN Premium (not Professional) subscription. All of the tools and software available in MSDN Universal will still be available in the new offering, including legacy developer tools.  Licensing remains the same.  I would like to emphasize that this is not a downgrade: it is equivalent to the MSDN Universal Empower members receive today.

Gold Certified and Certified partners who have achieved the ISV/Software Solutions Competency and Gold Certified Partners receive Visual Studio 2005 Team Software Developer plus MSDN Premium. Those in the ISV Competency receive extra development licenses by virtue of their ISV status. 

Please note also that while the MSDN web site has the most complete information about the new offerings, it is directed at partners and customers who have individual MSDN subscriptions.  Therefore, some of the information there may not be applicable.  We strive to have updated information for you available at the Regional Service Centers, so please continue to contact them with questions.

All the best!
    -brenda (ISV Buddy Team)
    Friday, October 21, 2005 8:04 PM
  • Thanks Brenda.. The Contact number in India was useful. I Contact them once I'm in Bangalore after 25th November. Currently working in Switzerland.

Do u think It is wise to take up the subscription before the Launch date of VS 2005 and SQL 2005?

Friday, October 21, 2005 10:46 PM