DDSet_Error: GetCurrentTfsProperties failed causing TFS SP1 install to fail RRS feed

• Question

• I cannot get my TFS install to complete successfully.  It fails everytime with the messages below in the log file.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Here are the pertinent lines from the log files:

Returning IDOK. INSTALLMESSAGE_ERROR [There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information. ]
    [5/15/2008, 16:58:11] (HotIron::MspInstallerT<class ATL::CPathT<class ATL::CStringT<unsigned short,class ATL:Tongue TiedtrTraitATL<unsigned short,class ATL::ChTraitsCRT<unsigned short> > > > >:Stick out tongueerformMsiOperation) Patch (TFS90sp1-KB949786.msp) install failed on product (Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU). Msi Log: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Server Pack 1 Beta 1_20080515_165719271-Msi1.txt
    [5/15/2008, 16:58:11] (HotIron::MspInstallerT<class ATL::CPathT<class ATL::CStringT<unsigned short,class ATL:Tongue TiedtrTraitATL<unsigned short,class ATL::ChTraitsCRT<unsigned short> > > > >:Stick out tongueerformMsiOperation) MsiApplyMultiplePatches returned 0x643

[5/15/2008, 16:58:11] (HotIron::MspInstallerT<class ATL::CPathT<class ATL::CStringT<unsigned short,class ATL:Tongue TiedtrTraitATL<unsigned short,class ATL::ChTraitsCRT<unsigned short> > > > >::Rollback)

05/15/08 10:58:11 DDSet_Status: Process exited with exit code: 1000

05/15/08 10:58:11 DDSet_Error: GetCurrentTfsProperties failed with exit code: 1000
    MSI (s) (AC!88) [10:58:11:145]: Product: Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Team Foundation Server - ENU -- There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information.

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. Please refer to the setup log for more information.

05/15/08 10:58:11 DDSet_Error: GetCurrentTfsProperties failed

Brandon

Thursday, May 15, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

•  

Can you please send the log files from your failing installation? The files should be have names like Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Server Pack 1 Beta 1_*, and they should be in your %temp% directory or in the directory directly above that. Please send them by email to tfsb2sup@microsoft.com, along with your forum username and a link to this thread.

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:21 PM
  • same error while installing TFS2008 SP1 on my machine. I'm running TFS 2008 (trial) on a Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server 2008 CTP. I will send logs to tfsb2sup@microsoft.com as well.

Saturday, May 17, 2008 2:13 PM
  • It seems that my previous TFS setup is not working anymore after the failed installation of TFS2008 SP1. Connecting to TFS in my Team Explorer results in the following error :

TF31001: Team Foundation cannot retrieve the list of team projects from Team Foundation Server WINSRV2008. The Team Foundation Server returned the following error: Team Foundation services are not available from the server.

Technical information (for administrator):

TF30059: Fatal error while initializing web service.

Retrieving the TFS server status at http://<servername>:8080/services/v1.0/serverstatus.asmx also gives me an error :

TF10216: Team Foundation services are currently unavailable. Try again later. If the problem persists, contact your Team Foundation Server administrator.
    The event log gives me a SQL Server error : 
    The Tabular Data Stream (TDS) version 0x730b0003 of the client library used to open the connection is unsupported or unknown. The connection has been closed. [CLIENT: <local machine>]
    Connecting to the TFS SQL Server Database with SQL Server Management Studio fails as well :
    -----------------------------
    ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
    A connection was successfully established with the server, but then an error occurred during the login process. (provider: Shared Memory Provider, error: 0 - No process is on the other end of the pipe.) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 233)
    For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=233&LinkId=20476
    It seems that the SP1 installation has corrupted the TFS SQL Server database ... Any ideas how to rollback?
    Saturday, May 17, 2008 5:36 PM
  • Hi Pieter - From what I read, you have (had) an TFS2008 trial version working with LHS and SQL Server 2008 CTP.  I think you are going to have to uninstall TFS2008 and then install TFS2008 SP1 beta using the "Integrated Installation of TFS and SP1" option that we have documented in the TFS SP1 Beta Installation guide downloadable here.  Look for the paragraph: "Integrated Installation of Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1" in the "Installing Team Foundation Server and Service Pack 1" section.

Did you upgrade from SQL 2005 to SQL 2008 CTP? 

Cheers,

Bryan

Sunday, May 18, 2008 5:38 AM
  • Hi Bryan,

thx for your reply. I did a clean install of TFS 2008 with SQL Server 2008 CTP.

I didn't know it was possible to execute an integrated installation of TFS 2008 and SP1 - I guess I will have to choose for that option now because my current configuration is totally wasted.

But what's the option then if you really want to upgrade to SP1 with TFS 2008 and SQL Server 2008 on your Windows Server 2008? Because that upgrade failed in my attempt ...

Pieter.

Sunday, May 18, 2008 8:14 AM
  • Pieter,

Help us understand your situation better.

What version of SQL Server 2008 CTP did you install?  Was it CTP6 from February or something older?

You indicated that TFS was previously working.  What version of SQL Server were you using when TFS 2008 RTM was working?

This is the recommended upgrade path:

Starting with SQL Server 2005 SP2 and TFS 2008 RTM.

Upgrade to SQL Server 2008 CTP6 (February).  If you stop here, TFS is broken.

Install TFS 2008 SP1 Beta.

Thanks,

Will

Monday, May 19, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Hi Will,

Before installing TFS 2008 RTM, I installed SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (CTP of November 2007 - 32 bit), the one that was included in the Heroes Happen Here Launch kit.

My TFS 2008 installation worked fine until the upgrade to TFS 2008 SP1 beta ...

Best regards,

Pieter.

Monday, May 19, 2008 9:23 PM
  •  

Pieter, can you specify what happened when you tried upgrading to TFS 2008 SP1 in this configuration?

thanks

Jason

Tuesday, May 27, 2008 2:37 PM
  • I got the same error as stated in the first post of this thread (user bbusacker) ...

Monday, June 2, 2008 11:50 AM
  • hi,

I got the same error message, in my case it turned out to be a problem with the user i was trying to run the setup with. When i used a local admin account i was able to install.

Andreas
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 10:20 AM
  •  

Thanks Andreas.  Was this with the release version of SP1 or the beta version?
    Tuesday, August 12, 2008 1:29 PM
  • release version

In the log file it looks like "Executing workflow 'Quiesce ATDT'..." failes

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:03 AM
  • Kind of late to the party on this one, but for future readers...

In reponse to Pieter Gheysens posting:

I was installing the TFS SP1 and the 3.5 SP1 "update" yesterday.  When I was done I got the same error message from the clients trying to reach the server:

"TF30059: Fatal error while initializing web service."

We tracked it down to the TFSService account permissions.  The account had lost all but public rights.  We switched it back to a SysAdmin and everything poped back to normal opperations.

I am not sure what the exact cause was because the AutoUpdater apparently slipped a security update and some other updates into the mix, though I set the process to manual and specifically eliminated all but the updates I had planned.  I had about 10-15 updates logged with yesterdays date stamp on them.

MrEd
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 6:56 PM
  • http://blogs.msdn.com/b/granth/archive/2010/08/13/sharepoint-2010-error-http-error-400-the-size-of-the-request-headers-is-too-long.aspx#10066456
    MVD
    Wednesday, January 12, 2011 10:47 AM