Approving Membership and Setting Roles with PWS on GoDaddy RRS feed

• Question

• User593260253 posted

I am using VWD with the Personal Website Starter Kit hosted at GoDaddy.  I suffered through the typical frustrations of getting this to work on GoDaddy as has been extensively documented in these forums, but now everything works and I have learned a lot along the way. 

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

One remaining nuisance that I would like to eliminate is the way I have to approve Membership.  I can use the Register page of PWS to enter a new user and it immediately shows up in the Membership table of the database at GoDaddy.  Then I have to assign roles to each member by a laborious process of running sql statements provided by GoDaddy in the Query Analyzer.  This provides a high level of security but if I wanted many people to use my site and had to go through this process for each person, it would be a real nuisance.

<o:p></o:p>

I created a Gridview with a SQLDataSource that joined the 4 relevant tables (Membership, Users, Roles, UsersInRoles and am able to display in a web page with edit, delete, and update options.  When I try to edit or delete using the gridview, the page reloads but nothing changes.  I would think that this would be the easiest way to approve new users and assign roles, but it doesn’t work. 

Since GoDaddy does not allow me to upload the database from my local machine, changing the database membership info locally and then uploading the revised database is not an option.

What is the best way to manage membership approval and roles for the PWS?  Am I running into a  GoDaddy issue on this or do others run into this with other host providers? 

I am able to change data in all my other tables with my web page gridviews, why not the Membership info?  Is there a setting within web.cofig that affects the membership approval  and assigning roles process?

I am curious how others do this and wondering if there is a better way.  Thanks for any feedback/help that you can provide on this issue.

Tuesday, February 6, 2007 9:53 AM

Answers

• User-345632295 posted

You can create your own application using the Membership class to manipulate the membership database.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2007 9:42 PM

All replies

• User-345632295 posted

You can create your own application using the Membership class to manipulate the membership database.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Friday, February 9, 2007 9:42 PM
  • User-2003048288 posted

Hi,

I almost signed up with GoDaddy.com because of attractive rates.  But I decided not to instead my pws is being hosted by webhost4life.  I had it up and running within minutes and because, like you, I needed a better way to manage user/roles and etc.... I manage my users/roles in 1 of 3 ways.  1) manage via VS2005 2) manage via EM/QA locally but connect to the remote db or 3) use WH4L control manager.  I don't use VWD but see if it has ASP.NET Configuration Tool.  If you have it, you can use this to manage your users.  I am just offering my experience with you and not sure if you have these tools I am suggesting.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:31 PM
  • User-2003048288 posted

Hi,

I almost signed up with GoDaddy.com because of attractive rates.  But I decided not to instead my pws is being hosted by webhost4life.  I had it up and running within minutes and because, like you, I needed a better way to manage user/roles and etc.... I manage my users/roles in 1 of 4 ways.  1) manage via VS2005 2) manage via EM/QA locally but connect to the remote db  3) use WH4L control manager or 4) fix them locally and re-upload the db.  I don't use VWD but see if it has ASP.NET Configuration Tool.  If you have it, you can use this to manage your users.  I am just offering my experience with you and not sure if you have these tools I am suggesting.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 3:32 PM
  • User593260253 posted

Thanks for your feedback.  I am using VWD and do not have VS 2005.  I will look into webhost4life as a hosting option. 

I am curious about the specifics of how it works for you and how I can adapt your process to work for me.  For example, the Personal Web site allows users to register online providing name, password, etc. that gets put into the db at the hosting provider.  Then the administrator must approve the membership.  Since this is the process for most of my user registrations, with your system would you download the db with the registration info each time there is a new user, and then approve it and reupload the db (options 1+2).  That sounds like alot of effort.  Or, would you do it with WH4L control manager (option 3), which is essentially what I am doing now with GoDaddy)?

Thanks again for responding to my questions.

Dave

Wednesday, February 21, 2007 6:23 PM
  • User595806616 posted
    Options 4: You could download my PWS kit and either use it, or just implement the Users.aspx(vb) and the UserManager.vb class file. Then you can manage users through a page.
    Wednesday, February 21, 2007 8:11 PM
  • User-2003048288 posted

Typically, you would setup your roles in advance before you upload your DB to the hosting site.  You probably would know the types of roles you need ahead of time althought you might have a need to add/modify later on.  But once this is done and uploaded, these won't change for a while.  When I need to add/modify, I use the ASP.Net Web Tool to connect to my WH4L DB to manage this.  This is how I currently do it.  For new member registration, as soon as a member is signed up, he/she will get an email containing the link; once they click this link, the user is automaticllay approved.  I will also receive an email detailing about this new user.  I could also use the Roles class to automatically assign role(s) to every new user BUT I wouldn't know which Role is appropriate.  I could default new user to a default Role with very limited access.  This is the only manual step I have to do regarding new registration.  You could also use Enterprise Manager or Query Analyzer locally but connect to the remote DB to manage your roles. In case, some times, I had to download the DB; do whatever I need; then send it back to WH4L.  Their RESTORE/BACKUP is live and very fast! 

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 3:53 PM
  • User593260253 posted
    Thanks Jeremy and sidni.  I am seriously looking into WH4L as a web host so that I can actually upload my local db instead of having to work with GoDaddy's SQL Server 2000 Web Admin program.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 5:04 PM
  • User-2003048288 posted

No problem.  I am not trying to advertise WH4L here. :-)  But if you are seriously thinking in joining them, I can give you my referal id.  After you've signed up, I think I get additional server spaces.  No pressures.  Just wanted to let you know. :)  By the way, spent about 45 mins today and created an admin page on my site to add/remove roles to/from users.  With this in place, it makes roles management a bit (not completely automated) easier.  If you ever need to do something like this, just email me.  No expert here but know enough....

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:27 PM
  • User-2003048288 posted
    Easier in the sense I do not have to rely on external tools.
    Wednesday, February 28, 2007 10:29 PM
  • User2001647265 posted

Hello,

I have almost similar issues with GoDaddy when working Personal Started Kit.

Can you give me some hints to make the PSK apps works from local machine until upload to discountASP hosting company?

I am running Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005 on Vista machine.

Questions:

1.       How did you change the web config file on section “ConnectionStrings”?

2.       Where can I find the icons when I added the manage.aspx page?

Thanks,
    TJ

Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:08 AM
  • User595806616 posted

1. You can view the example here for your connection strings. http://help.godaddy.com/article/689

2. If I remember correctly, the icons never existed for the manage.aspx page. 

Hello,

I have almost similar issues with GoDaddy when working Personal Started Kit.

Can you give me some hints to make the PSK apps works from local machine until upload to discountASP hosting company?

I am running Visual Studio 2005 and SQL Server 2005 on Vista machine.

Questions:

1.       How did you change the web config file on section “ConnectionStrings”?

2.       Where can I find the icons when I added the manage.aspx page?

Thanks,
    TJ

Saturday, January 24, 2009 11:36 AM