none
old sdk RRS feed

• Question

• hi there

guys lets say i have a fully working project in sdk beta 2

i dont really need to port it to v1 right ? all i need is to build it and it will run regardless of the current sdk version installed ?

because i got a program in litrally every iteration of the sdk, and want to be able to run them all

thanks in advanced

ahmed

Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:33 PM

All replies

• You have to build and run against the same version of the SDK. A program built against Beta 2 will not run on a computer with the 1.0 runtime.
    Saturday, February 18, 2012 8:42 PM
  • Unfortunately you do need to port it to v1. The Kinect initializer has changed, so code that compiles under Beta 2 will not compile under v1. It's not a huge change, shouldn't take you too long to make the conversion.
    • Proposed as answer by ChrisCicc Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:43 AM
    • Edited by ChrisCicc Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:44 AM
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 8:43 AM
  • i mean , i have the code, i compiled it into exe or what ever and done with that

to install it on a pc it must has the same version of sdk it was complied in ?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:38 AM
  • When you compile for release, it will have the runtime in the installer. The SDK is for development only. Right now there is only one commercial SDK and one commercial runtime - v1.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:40 AM
  • a computer with Beta 2 SDK can run a program written against it. If you install the 1.0 SDK it will replace the Beta 2 SDK and you will have to recompile your code to work with the new runtime.
    Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:40 AM
  • this can be a solution for my problem, compile them for release and use them side by side with other sdk's compiled projects

i am not going to sell it or anything so i wont be breaking the rules

what kind of compilation will include the runtime ?

Sunday, February 19, 2012 9:51 AM
  • I think the biggest code change is initialization between beta 2 and v1 of commerical sdk, the fact that the runtime doesnt support xbox kinect but if full sdk is installed it does, and the kinect for windows kinect device can see closer then the xbox kinect. I would say if you take into account those three things everything else is mostly the same but im probably excluding some nice new features they've added for coding.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

• Edited by The Thinker Monday, February 20, 2012 2:40 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2012 2:38 PM
  • guys sorry but i am kinda new in this

what is runtime exactly ? and can it or it cant be included within the exe packege ? and can multiple versions of the runtime work on the same machine if they were compiled within diffrenet exe's ?

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:01 PM
  • You will need a different exe for beta 2 and v1 runtimes because v1 runtime byitself doesnt use xbox kinect.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:14 PM
  • so i export my beta 2 project in exe format -> then i remove the old sdk and install the new sdk and export the newer project in exe format as well

and both of them will be runable on xbox kinect ?

Monday, February 20, 2012 4:22 PM
  • No the newer one wont you need the full sdk to install on commerical v1 instead of runtime for xbox kinect to work but on newer kinect for windows device will be cheaper for educational students this fall so if you wait you get a discount on it.

Monday, February 20, 2012 5:09 PM