Filter view by date stored in multiline text column RRS feed

• Question

• I have an InfoPath form with a repeating date picker that allows the user to choose multiple dates. When the form is submitted to SharePoint these dates are merged into a multi-line text column with the format yyyy-mm-dd one date per line. I would like to make a view filter to show only those records that contain today's date in that column. Is there any way to make this happen?

I have tried the following in the filter section of the view:

• Column Contains [Today]
    • Column Contains Today
    • Column Contains ([Today],"yyyy-mm-dd")
    • Column Contains TEXT([Today],"yyyy-mm-dd")
    • Column Contains (Today,"yyyy-mm-dd")
    • Column Contains TEXT(Today,"yyyy-mm-dd")

If I use Column Contains 2011-10-11, I do receive those records containing that date.

Thanks in advance for any help that you may be able to provide.

PS - I am not an administrator on the sharepoint server and have no way of implementing any work-arounds that would require administrative privileges...

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:39 PM

Answers

• I don't think it's possible. You can use the [Today] function to create a filter on a date column, but not on a multi-line text column. 

I had a similar requirement and instead of submitting multiple dates into a merged text column, I had the form submit one date at time. The downside was that if a user needed to submit five date items, it would create five items in the form library, but the return was I was able to create views that filtered on the date field.

Hope this helps.

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:38 AM

All replies

• I don't think it's possible. You can use the [Today] function to create a filter on a date column, but not on a multi-line text column. 

I had a similar requirement and instead of submitting multiple dates into a merged text column, I had the form submit one date at time. The downside was that if a user needed to submit five date items, it would create five items in the form library, but the return was I was able to create views that filtered on the date field.

Hope this helps.

Planet Technologies || SharePoint Task Force
    • Marked as answer by Pengyu Zhao Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:38 AM
    Wednesday, October 12, 2011 6:38 AM
  • Thanks for your help!

I was afraid that would be the answer, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything obvious...

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 4:14 PM