Suspension of application that do long operations

General discussion

• Good Morning

First, sorry for my English, unfortunately I'm Italian -.-"

I really love Windows 8 and the way Windows is reimagined with metro style, but there are two things that have perplexed me.

One of this is the suspension of the application that, from what I understand from the video of the conference (I do not understand well the 'spoken English), the apps are suspended after 5 seconds they are leaved by the user.

But for apps that have to do long processes for example archive compressors, there isn't the risk that the compression process is interrupeted by the suspension?

Thanks in advance.

Linkinf94

Saturday, December 31, 2011 11:39 AM

All replies

• If an application is liable to need to do a lot of work without the user interacting with it, it's probably better written as a Desktop application rather than a Metro one. If the heavy work is not the primary purpose of the application, then it should be written to handle the situation where the user switches out of the application and be prepared to continue or restart the work the next time the user launches it.
    Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:17 PM
  • So developers have to decide if target an application for desktop or for metro based in what the application is intended for?

Practically applications for fun will be metro, and application for work will be desktop?

Thus metro will not replace desktop in future (suppose in Windows 9)?

For example: 3Ds Max, Office, Visual Studio, Adobe Photoshop, video editors and so on remain for desktop (these tools effectively see them awful in metro style). While maybe MSN, Skype, Games, etc become for metro?

I understood right?

Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:19 PM
  • Metro is a new concept that introduced in Windows 8 and there is still way to go, developer could decide what to do , either develop desktop or metro or both such as Internet Explorer which is run in Desktop and Metro. Developer Preview Edition is a good chance that developer try their application and test them and see what is the best thing to do and pass feedback to Windows team.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 3:28 PM
  • This is confusing. On the one hand an app cannot be closed, yet on the other hand it cannot run in the background.

Is it running or not. Someone ought to make up their mind.

Saturday, December 31, 2011 10:31 PM
  • Hi Linkinf94,

“Treat all your "Metro" apps as if they are always running (but at zero impact to battery/performance)” Andy Cadley.

I suggest you read some of the blog posts here to get a better understanding of what MS had in mind when it introduced the Metro version in addition to the desktop version in Windows8. I think it was one of those ideas whose time has come. An Italian translation of the blogs is also available on the same page.

Irfan

• Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, January 1, 2012 11:18 AM to complete the reply
    Sunday, January 1, 2012 10:19 AM
  • From an end-user perspective, Metro applications should "appear" as if they are always running. It should start back in whatever situation it was in when they last ran it, data should be persisted transparently and Live Tile notifications used to give the impression that they're being kept up-to-date on related information even when they aren't actively "running" the app.

On the other hand, from a purely developers perspective, the app has to be designed and written such that it only gets real compute time when it is active. This means making good use of idle time to ensure data is being constantly persisted to disk, rather than simply waiting for a user to "save" or "quit" to do this kind of work. It also means being ready to abandon or halt progress at any time should the user desire to get on with something else instead. A key to doing this is embracing the ability of Metro to do things like background downloads and auto-persisting configuration as these are the common "jobs" that people think you need background processing for.

And none of this means that Metro applications are only "for fun". A great many applications are in fact perfectly suited to this and it's really only old-fashioned conventions that mean they don't persist data actively or relaunch back in the state they were in when last used. Other applications like Photoshop or Office could easily follow this Metro model and it's really only their heavy density of controls that favour a desktop approach.

Sunday, January 1, 2012 7:15 PM
  • But for applications like instant messaging, if the app is suspended how can It know and advise the user that he's received a message?
    • Edited by Linkinf94 Friday, January 6, 2012 11:19 AM
    Friday, January 6, 2012 11:17 AM