none
Missing right-click menu item "Install for all users" for font files in Windows 10

Question

• I have noticed on my desktop machine that when I right-click on a font in my downloads folder, I have a menu item "Install for all users":

Install for all users

But when I try the same thing on my laptop, I don't have that option:

Install

Both machines are running Windows 10, and both are logged in to accounts with administrator access.  Why the difference?  And how do I install a font for all users on my laptop?

Monday, April 22, 2019 4:46 PM

Answers

• "Install for all users" was added with the 1809 release.  Your laptop must not have upgraded yet.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by thoatson Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:48 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 5:01 PM

All replies

• "Install for all users" was added with the 1809 release.  Your laptop must not have upgraded yet.

Tim Roberts | Driver MVP Emeritus | Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

• Marked as answer by thoatson Thursday, April 25, 2019 1:48 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2019 5:01 PM
  • Ah, that's it - my laptop has 1803.  So, is there a way to install for all users on 1803 (or pre-1809) systems?
    Monday, April 22, 2019 5:07 PM
  • Hello, thoatson

Try to change NTFS permissions on Fonts Folder and give Modify or Full permissions to users, then see if it works, you could follow the article as below to do it:

Allowing Non-Admin Users To Install Fonts in Windows 7

http://tompopov.blogspot.sg/2011/05/allowing-non-admin-users-to-install.html

You can also try some workaround to achieve goal, need to use third-party software and powershell command.

https://www.reddit.com/r/k12sysadmin/comments/5zlca8/is_is_possible_for_nonadmin_users_to_install/

Please Note: Since the website is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Strive

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, April 23, 2019 5:29 AM