none
SubObjectsBlob format RRS feed

• Question

• Can anyone describe the format of the SubObjectsBlob field, seen in Exchange 2013 EDBs?  This is where it keeps track of the attachments associated with a message I believe.  Here is one example:

18 19 02 18 18 21 07 19 01 21 08

I'm pretty sure the 2 is a count, and the 7 and the 8 are the IDs I am looking for.

But I don't understand what the other numbers are (flags?).  I also don't understand how it would change if the ID needs to be larger than 1 byte.

Thanks,
    Phillip
    Monday, August 11, 2014 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

You are correct that theSubObjectsBlob field represents the PidTagMessageAttachments property. However, it's not known if the data is stored in the same format as it is sent over the wire.

MS-OXCMSG 2.2.1.52 PidTagMessageAttachments Property

Type: PtypObject ([MS-OXCDATA] section 2.11.1)

The PidTagMessageAttachments property ([MS-OXPROPS] section 2.774) contains identifiers

that correspond to a message's attachments.

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:15 PM

All replies

• Hi Philip:

I have alerted the open specifications team regarding your inquiry. A member of the team will be in touch soon through this thread.

Regards, Obaid Farooqi

Monday, August 11, 2014 10:25 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Phillip, I am the engineer who will be working with you on this issue. I am currently researching the problem and will provide you with an update soon. Thank you for your patience.

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Thanks; any help will be greatly appreciated.
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Hi Phillip, the EDB file format is undocumented and currently there are no plans to publish it. Please see the following thread that discusses this for more information.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7c611c22-36d7-44d4-aa6d-02ee6f6e24c4/interact-directly-with-edb-files?forum=os_exchangeprotocols

You can make certain assumptions about the value(s) stored in the EDB file based on the protocol documentation. However, there is no guarantee that the format or value of a property will be stored in the same format as it is when sent over the wire.

Please note that interacting directly with and/or modifying the EDB file could cause severe corruption and is not recommended or supported.

You are correct that theSubObjectsBlob field represents the PidTagMessageAttachments property. However, it's not known if the data is stored in the same format as it is sent over the wire.

MS-OXCMSG 2.2.1.52 PidTagMessageAttachments Property

Type: PtypObject ([MS-OXCDATA] section 2.11.1)

The PidTagMessageAttachments property ([MS-OXPROPS] section 2.774) contains identifiers

that correspond to a message's attachments.

Friday, August 15, 2014 5:15 PM