Xamarin Android has stopped working (incompatible) RRS feed

• Question

• User40995 posted

Hi,

Seemingly out of nowhere, my Xamarin Android installation failed this morning. Visual Studio started giving me an error message upon opening a solution with Android projects within. The message points me to the log file at %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0, which contains exactly the same error as listed in the Xamarin output window:

System.MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'Void Mono.AndroidTools.AnalyticsService.ReportContextProperty(System.String[], System.String[])'. at Xamarin.AndroidTools.MonoDroidSdk.Refresh(String runtimePath, String binPath, String bclPath) at Xamarin.AndroidTools.MonoDroidSdk.GetSdk() at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.<>c.<GetInstalledPlatformVersions>b__66_1(AndroidVersion version) at System.Linq.Enumerable.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<CombinePredicates>b__0(TSource x) at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectArrayIterator`2.MoveNext() at System.Linq.Buffer`1..ctor(IEnumerable`1 source) at System.Linq.Enumerable.ToArray[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source) at Xamarin.AndroidTools.AndroidSdk.Refresh(String androidSdkPath, String androidNdkPath, String javaSdkPath)

I completely uninstalled and re-installed Xamarin this morning and it worked again after that. But then I opened another VS instance and it all happened all over again. VS won't load the projects now, and just shows them as "incompatible". When I exit VS, it gives me this message (one for each Android project):

``` Unsupported This version of Visual Studio is unable to open the following projects. The project types may not be installed or this version of Visual Studio may not support them. For more information on enabling these project types or otherwise migrating your assets, please see the details in the "Migration Report" displayed after clicking OK. - Services.Connected.Android, "C:\Users\Kent\Repository\redacted\Src\Services.Connected.Android\Services.Connected.Android.csproj"

Non-functional changes required Visual Studio will automatically make non-functional changes to the following projects in order to enable them to open in Visual Studio 2015, Visual Studio 2013, Visual Studio 2012, and Visual Studio 2010 SP1. Project behavior will not be impacted. - Redacted, "C:\Users\Kent\Repository\redacted\Src\Redacted.sln" ```

Can anyone from Xamarin help?

Thanks, Kent

Tuesday, October 4, 2016 6:50 AM

Answers

• User131278 posted

It looks like you are hitting Bug 44162.

Bug 44162, Comment 5 includes a candidate build for this issue that has resolved the issue for several users (after also uninstalling Test Recorder).

I will tentatively close this thread to consolidate any further discussion and updates onto that public bug report: Bug 44162.

(If necessary, this thread can be reopened upon request. Just send a quick email to contact@xamarin.com with a link to this thread. Thanks!)

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, June 3, 2021 12:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2016 12:13 AM