The "NuGet Package Manager" extension failed to update/ uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• User-871665172 posted

Hi,

A couple of weeks ago I began to get the following error message when I started Webmatrix:

The "NuGet Package Manager" extension failed to update, please shut down all instances of  WebMatrix and any access to the extensions folder and restart WebMatrix.

Skipping 'NuGetPackageManager\zh-CHS\NuGetExtension.resources.dll' because it was modified.

I searched and searched for a solution online but I couldn't seem to find a post on the error message anywhere.  Recently, I bought a new laptop so I created a homegroup network at home and connected my PC's.  Since than, I have had several software issues related to permissions; therefore, I thought the update error message could also be related to folder permissions too.

As I couldn't solve it I looked into uninstalling Nuget and reinstalling it.  This also didn't work.  Now I am getting this error message when I start Webmatrix:

The "NuGet Package Manager" extension failed to uninstall, please shut down all instances of WebMatrix and any access to the extensions folder and restart WebMatrix.

Skipping 'NuGetPackageManager\zh-CHS\NuGetExtension.resources.dll' because it was modified

I am running Windows 7 on the PC with the error.  Does anyone please know exactly where the Nuget Package in stored on the PC and what the folder permissions should be in order to enable the package to update and uninstall?

Or, can anyone please give me more information on the error and how to sort this out please?

Many thanks.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 11:25 AM

Answers

• User-821857111 posted

I usually find that ignoring the error message works. You can still use Nuget mostly. Alternatively, ditch WebMatrix and use Visual Studio Express for Web.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:23 AM

All replies

• User379720387 posted

Nuget and WebMatrix don't work well together.

Nuget wants to update itself but then it starts to complain that some of the WebMatrix files are out of date, and then it doesn't allow you to update them.

'A cluster ef.

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 2:31 PM
  • User-1555703027 posted

Yeah and it kind of shows you that WEBMATRIX is dead - the problem was reported last year and it looks that still there is no fix

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 4:24 PM
  • User-821857111 posted

I usually find that ignoring the error message works. You can still use Nuget mostly. Alternatively, ditch WebMatrix and use Visual Studio Express for Web.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Thursday, August 21, 2014 2:23 AM
  • User-871665172 posted

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your comments.

I'll try to ignore the error message; although, it's going to bug me.

I love Webmatrix and it is set as the default editor for most web related file types on the PC.

I tend to do everything by code as opposed to using tools; therefore, I find beauty in its simplicity.

If I'm struggling to get something to run I will occasionally load up VS to help diagnose the problem; although, I usually use the browser console.

Personally, I found Webmatrix, the tutorial series and the support you guys give in the forum an ideal package when I was first learning to programme; VS was a bit more daunting.

I really hope it stays. 

Thursday, August 21, 2014 6:08 AM