none
Problems with .NET 2.0 and .NET 1.1 both residing on system RRS feed

• Question

• I have a product that is built with VS 2003.  It has been working well since 2006.  But recently, some customers are experiencing problems if BOTH .NET 1.1 (v 1.1.4322.1033) and .NET 2.2.30729 are on the system.    My .NET app will appear for about one second, then disappear without any error messages.  I have both of these versions of .NET on my system, and my app runs fine.  Furthermore, this must be a new problem, because it just started occurring.  My app has been out there since 2006, but it is only in the past month that I have started seeing this problem on my customers' systems.   I think (but haven't proven) that every time this happens, the system also has .NET 3.0 sp2 and .NET 3.5 sp1 installed.  Sometimes, also .NET 4.0, but not always.  It happens on XP and Windows 7 systems, not sure about Vista.

If I manually go into the customer's system and remove .NET 1.1, the app works fine.  No problems.  The funny part of it, is that this app was built using 2003, so one would think that it would run better under 1.1 than 2.0.  But that doesn't seem to be the case. At least recently.  In the past, it has always run with both 1.1 and 2.0 on the system.

I have written quite a few test programs that try to recreate the problem, but have not been able to recreate it except in the original app.  I had to rebuild the app and redistribute when .NET 4.0 was released because my licensing software didn't work with .NET 4.0.  But the problem happens even on an unlicensed version of the product, so I don't believe that this is a licensing problem.  Also, it happens on systems that do not have .net 4.0 installed.  And I built a test program with the licensing and it runs fine on all of the customer's systems who are experiencing the problem with my product.

If I could reproduce it on my system, I might have more luck finding the problem.  But that doesn't seem possible.  And no error messages are shown on the customer's system.  It just dies silently.

I am not sure how to debug this.  I haven't seen anybody else reporting this problem, so I think it must be something specific about my app.

This is a .NET forms applications, not a web app.

Any ideas?

Sunday, September 5, 2010 3:58 PM

All replies