Implementing hierarchies with variable depth in PowerPivot RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to organize my dwh to implement hierarchies with variable number of levels for PowerPivot. I've already read a related blog of Alberto Ferrari, but I remember that it talkes about known number of levels.

In presence of variable depth, is it possible to use PowerPivot? How? Is it better to implement hierachies in Analysis Services?

Many thanks for your suggests.

Tuesday, December 13, 2011 11:20 AM

Answers

• Hi Pscorca,

You have to define the level in advance, it is same in Analysis Services, in Analysis Services, you should have two keys, EmployeeKey and ParentEmployKey, which define the relationship between different levels in advance.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by pscorca Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:15 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:00 AM

All replies

• Hi Pscorca,

You have to define the level in advance, it is same in Analysis Services, in Analysis Services, you should have two keys, EmployeeKey and ParentEmployKey, which define the relationship between different levels in advance.

Thanks,
    Challen Fu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by pscorca Sunday, December 18, 2011 9:15 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 8:00 AM
  • What if a guy ( like me) used the HierarchyID data type in the OLTP db? Thank you
    Doyle
    Friday, December 16, 2011 4:14 PM